Nomad traders prefer what size screen on a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by birdman, May 5, 2022.

1. birdman

birdman

I've always traded from a desktop. I'm considering traveling some and wonder about the optimal screen size on a laptop. Chromebooks come with a variety of screen sizes ranging from 10.1 inches to 15.6 inches. And then i see some big clunky laptops that guys wheel into the office on hand trucks. I see some tablets as big as 24 inch.

I spend 2 to 4 hours a day on gmail and skype chat. I'm considering doing some traveling. I am partial to large monitors. What size laptop screen is optimal in your mind?

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

my 15 inch laptop worked well for me and it wasn’t too bulky to carry around.

I now have a surface (the stylish executive one) and it’s a little small.

Nobert and birdman like this.
  3. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

I just got the MSI GE76. I love it. Sure it is 5# but it is 17" 2K screen and fits into a 15" pelican case. I would highly recommend a Pelican case. I have been on laptops for decades now and the Pelican case was the best decision. I travel between 3 places and it is great. At each place I plug into a 5K monitor.

MSI makes business quality machines but targets gamers. They also have a business line, Prestige that looks darn good.

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE76-12UX/shopnow

I got the GE76 UGS259 from GenetechPC who I can also highly recommend. 20 years with them, all issues and problems resolved over that time.

stochastix and birdman like this.
  4. deaddog

deaddog

Have you considered portable monitors?

birdman likes this.
  5. birdman

birdman

No but thanks for the suggestion. I might well prefer that. I'll be sure to check it out.

6. zdreg

zdreg

Are you sure that chromebook works with your trading platform?

7. birdman

birdman

nah - it's only for emergency power outage backup for email / skype. I have battery back ups on both trading machines that will last several minutes, plus a Jackery that will power a big desktop / big monitor for 2 hours.

8. d08

d08

I found the 15 inch "full size" ones too bulky and unnecessary. Full size meaning it has the full power CPU, not the reduced U (ultra low power) one. Perfect screen size seems to be 14" (14.1" or 14.3" seems common). I recently took a look at a HP EliteBook with a 13.3" screen and it just seemed too small to be used all day. It would be great as a holiday laptop though - good enough to be used for 2-3 hours.

birdman likes this.
  9. easymon1

easymon1

10. Handle123

Handle123

Dell 17"

#10     May 6, 2022
    birdman likes this.