Noisy power supply fan

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Bankedout, Dec 8, 2003.

1. #11     Dec 8, 2003
  2. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have a bunch of older but still running computers that all have several fans each. I have lubricated most of the fans more than once, the noise stops, and they keep on ticking. Fan bearing require lubrication like all bearings and lack of lubrication is what causes most bearing failures in all machinery. I have yet to see a computer fan bearing that was sealed such that an Engineering mind could not lubricate it. I get used fans in here that have locked up and and been discarded by their owners. I add a little lubrication and they generally run like a top.

#12     Dec 8, 2003
  3. Bankedout,

Unless you were planning on junking your computer anyway, I would replace the power supply without hesitation. Don't take risks! Replacing the fan inside the power supply itself can at best only be done by a technical person.

Don't tarry,

nononsense

#13     Dec 8, 2003
  4. just21

just21

www.silentpcreview.com is the resource for quietening fans and psu. Read the forums there. I am waiting for the pentium m atx motherboards so I can build a pc with no fans at all. Should be available in the first quarter.

#14     Dec 8, 2003
  5. #15     Dec 8, 2003
  6. So is this something where I could just poke the little straw thing on the end of my can of WD-40 in near the fan and squirt away, or is it something where I have to remove the power supply and dismantle it to get at the fan?

Thanks in advance,

Banker

#16     Dec 8, 2003
  7. Dude, first of all you need to understand that there is only one company that provides power supplies for DELL, and that is:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home.htm

No modifications necessary.
    Installation takes 3 minutes, max!

:D

#17     Dec 8, 2003
  8. Are you sure that the noise is not coming from your CPU?

You might wish to replace the CPU fan ( in the plastic shroud ) first before spending a ton of money on a new power supply!

#18     Dec 8, 2003
  9. Well I put my ear to the problem. It's definitely the power supply fan. The CPU fan is running fine.

On the website you sent me to, it suggested a Silencer 400 ATX Power Supply for my Dell Dimension 4400. This is listed as $135 That might be maybe a 1/3 of the value of the entire PC. Maybe I'm outdated again with PCs. Is it worth upgrading from a P4 2 ghz w/512MB RAM to something new?

Thanks for all the help,

Banker

#19     Dec 8, 2003
  10. Lancer

Lancer

Nooo, don't use WD40 or other similar petroleum-based lubrication on electric fan motors. Those will gum and cause the fan motor to seize. Only use non-gumming oil; paraffin-based turbine oil is recommended.

Here is one that comes in a small size:
    http://www.kingssupply.com/item37.htm

#20     Dec 8, 2003