Nobel Prize-Winning Economist Joseph Stiglitz says:

Discussion in 'Economics' started by olias, May 13, 2011.

1. The "corporate power base" isn't the beneficiary of Democrat-designed Social Security or Medicare entitlements, which account for the vast majority of the long-term deficit problem. The main argument against the Republicans is that they have not fought hard enough to dismantle those programs.

#31     May 15, 2011
  2. jprad

jprad

Guess again.

50% of total healthcare spending comes from public programs. Where do you think that money goes if not to the corporate power base?

As far as SS/SI, it accounted for 40% of federal tax receipts last year.

The Republicans have absolutely no intention of cutting off that revenue channel.

#32     May 15, 2011
  3. Yeah, and the "corporate power base" is so happy with its compensation from all that public health care spending that more and more participants are choosing not to see Medicare patients, due to drawn-out reimbursement cycles and reimbursements that barely cover fixed costs.

If you don't understand the concept of "lesser of two evils" in the context of the Dem/Republican split, well, you deserve the ass-reaming the Dems are going to give you. Hope you've got your political connections lined up so you at least get a jar of lube beforehand.

#33     May 15, 2011
  4. jprad

jprad

Seriously? Is that the best come back you could muster in your lesser-of-two-evils argument?

Pathetic...

#34     May 15, 2011
  5. I responded to your alleging that somehow the "corporate power base" benefited from government healthcare spending by pointing out that if it was benefiting, why were so many leaving the program. Google "doctors stop seeing medicare patients" if you don't believe me.

So, I consider your point responded to. The lube comment was just a fair warning.

#35     May 15, 2011
  6. jprad

jprad

Doctors? That's who you think the corporate power base is here?

Try googling "who profits from medicare"

Then take a look at the donation breakdowns between Dems and Repubs for the past 6 election cycles. Specifically, take a look at Healthcare Professionals and Insurance:

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/mems.php?party=R&cycle=2010

As far as lube jobs, you're the one getting jobbed by your own party.

They both suck, there is no lesser evil here.

#36     May 15, 2011
  7. Why go back 6 election cycles? Let's just focus on the fact that the health insurers supported ObamaCare because of the individual mandate. Aside from that, it seems odd that, if government spending on medical care was the driver of industry profits, as you seem to be claiming, the industry wouldn't support the Dems, with their ultimate objective of single-payer, where the government will be the entity making all healthcare payments. That's what's always got me with you "both parties are equally bad" guys, your inability to see what's right in front of you so you can make grand cosmic pronouncements on how everything sucks.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, many of the GOP players who've been around for the past 6 election cycles have been replaced. Not enough of them, but enough to again state that of the two parties, they are the lesser of two evils.

Don't agree? Not my problem.

#37     May 15, 2011
  8. jprad

jprad

Of course you don't want to go back 6 cycles. If you did you'd see that the Democrats now do not have the lopsided support that the Republicans had in the past.

As for profits, goggle what I mentioned and do some reading.

#38     May 15, 2011
  9. No, I don't want to go back 6 cycles because it's moot at this point in time.

Sorry, I don't consider "profit" a dirty word. In fact, I'm all for profits. Health insurers make about 3% profit margins, hardly some outlandish amount.

As I said earlier, when the country is this polarized, there's no real point in talking politics. I'm just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

#39     May 15, 2011
  10. #40     May 15, 2011