No one on EliteTrader will beat the market… here is why

Discussion in 'Trading' started by neutrino, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

this cat always gives me hope...thanks for posting. Now back to losing me money..

#41     Dec 17, 2008
  2. I can name six traders of listed securities in our office that tripled their accounts or better. The junior trade in our office did 4000% on one million Euros. One of the traders is an ET regular and has posted at least a double on his account in the last three years running.

#42     Dec 17, 2008
  3. thnaks for the tip, captain obvious

#43     Dec 17, 2008
  4. Hmmm...I read this statement forwards and backwards and come to the conclusion that if you need to be critical of your performance , go and look in a mirror...:D

You are right about one thing , regardless as to what it may be ...you need the right strategy...but what this "fit well over price up to this moment" bunkum means...God only knows.

Frankly, I think you need to take a long walk and smell the roses...if they are in season:D

#44     Dec 17, 2008
  5. That's a nice one! Let your limit fill just to watch it reverse and kick you in the nuts. Problem is we never know if it's the outer cusp of the range or the start of a run. All i'm saying is us human mortals are often too late by the time we've eyeballed the evidence. We have to anticipate by buying/selling at the extreme of a range or oscillatory cycle, surely. Putting a stop limit is asking for a kicking?

#45     Dec 17, 2008
  6. donnap

donnap

OP, consider poker. There is no edge in the randomness of dealt cards. Yet, skillful players are consistent winners.

You said that you have beat the market in the 5 years that you have been trading and yet you quit because you cannot fathom an edge?

5 years of successful trading and you are not aware of your edge????

#46     Dec 17, 2008
  7. lescor

lescor

I personally know at least 15 full time traders who have made money almost every month for years on end, no matter what the market environment is.

This would encompass millions of transactions, billions of shares traded, 95% of that is purely intra day. All these traders know other traders that I don't know, who've also made consistent money for years. I've also trained people, some that had no background in the markets at all, and they also are able to take money out of the markets. Is it all just a big fat tail? How is it possible?

The academics who do studies and lecture on how the markets work really don't know anything about reality. You also can't compare small, independent traders to large institutional accounts managing billions of dollars. Those guys really do have a huge hurdle to overcome moving the size they need to.

#47     Dec 17, 2008
  8. Is one of their last names "Madoff"?

#48     Dec 17, 2008
  9. So you are telling us that you have yet to learn to trade on limit stops.

At least you are honest.

regards
    f9

#49     Dec 17, 2008
  10. Was....:mad: :mad:

#50     Dec 17, 2008