No one is out this weekend...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Port1385, Jul 26, 2008.

1. I thought the oil boom was pumping TX like mad. Wassup with that?

#11     Jul 27, 2008
  2. Not really....the OIL boom has now PUMPED over $2 TRILLION from the US to the middle east over the past 7 years of wealth transfer.

They got the PUMP, we got the DUMP! :mad:

#12     Jul 27, 2008
  3. #13     Jul 27, 2008
  4. I look at wallboard. Yep, wallboard. Wallboard is everywhere and the more wallboard purchased the better the economy. Wallboard is used in every house and business in America.

The US Gypsum company hasnt sold wallboard this cheap since the early 90s and its on its way this year to selling at a record low. Lows not seen since the early 90s. There has been a 50% drop in wallboard prices.

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...4646-6b89-4fc6-9fa6-b116d44f6d67/PriceVol.pdf

#14     Jul 27, 2008
  5. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Comparing Chicago and Texas to the rest of the US is apples and oranges.

Chicago = commodities, ag

Texas = duh, oil. It doesn't have to even produce oil to make money off the oil boom. Virtually all the major service companies are based in Houston.

#15     Jul 27, 2008
  6. Excellent post, excellent point.

We call it 'drywall' in the midwest, as there are 3 major sources of gypsum board; USG, Georgia Pacific and Weyerhaeuser.

Lumber is WAY down, too.

Not just rough (stud) lumber, but wolmanized, OSB, plywood, etc.

Shingles, vinyl siding and such are still high because of crude oil prices, but should fall steeply during the next 3-6 months.

The only materials that are staying and likely to stay elevated are concrete/cement and copper. Many builders have gone with pex tubing (cross-linked polyethylene) as a substitute for copper in their plumbing applications, however.

New home building permits are the lowest since 1962. I can't find the link, but if you just do a basic search, you can confirm.

It's not just residential, either. Retail, office and other commercial has slowed dramatically.

#16     Jul 27, 2008
  7. Walmart is like MacDonald's. Does better in recession.

#17     Jul 27, 2008
  8. Xuanxue

Xuanxue

I'm not sure anything can be viewed in terms of prior trends anymore.

Case in point: in past recessions and slowdowns about the only common stocks that outperformed markets were high-end clothing retailers and cosmetics. At just about the time recession hits the same cadre that played a major role and profited from the economic worry are spending premium purchasing power on their wifes and mistresses to keep them around and satisfied. It's a pay-off against a bitter bid of a portion of estates in divorce settlements.

You think I'm joking.

Anyway, pull up designer retailers and cosmetics in your screener. They nigh all have been delisted.

#18     Jul 27, 2008
  9. Xuanxue

Xuanxue

No offense but the bar crowd no matter how their dressed aren't much of a barometer. You're talking about Rush? The same people that have roommates so they can dress nice and drink a 1/3 of their paycheck on Friday and Saturday?

I bet the Civic Opera House is desolate.

#19     Jul 28, 2008
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

I agree...I am also seeing less people out...more businesses shutting down ( lots in the restaurant biz )...even one that was jumping last year shut down six months ago....

#20     Jul 28, 2008