No more Saturday mail

Discussion in 'Economics' started by CaptainObvious, Mar 2, 2010.

1. i've probably had 15+ instances of having my neighbors' mail delivered to my house in the years i've lived here. my carrier sucks

#31     Mar 3, 2010
  2. jprad

jprad

It's also why they're looking to stop Saturday delivery instead of Tuesday, which is the slowest mail volume day of the week.

So typical of what the US government has become; the needs of the few outweighing the needs of the entire country...

#32     Mar 3, 2010
  3. cutting saturday delivery doesn't save as much as cutting a weekday because a lot of businesses don't receive mail on saturday anyway; hence savings are only for residential routes.

they need to cut delivery to 4 days a week for all addresses. the exception would be a premium service like express overnight, where they would have to deliver next day regardless.

#33     Mar 3, 2010
  4. horseman

horseman

Auto workers are unionized (AFL-CIO). When business slows down, layoffs occur. What am I missing?

#34     Mar 3, 2010
  5. I can't remember the last time I bought a stamp. Honestly.

Bills? E-Bill Pay. Letters? Email. Packages? UPS. The only thing I get from the post office is advertising CRAP spam-mail, and Jury Duty / Government worthless junk.

If the post office goes to ONE day a week it'll be too many.

#35     Mar 3, 2010
  6. You're not taking into account the political fallout.

#36     Mar 3, 2010
  7. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

Before Gov't was rampid, people went to the P.O. to pick up their mail on OWN tme, how much did that save!!

#37     Mar 3, 2010
  8. Maybe we should go back to the Pony Express? Let's consider what era we're living in. I doubt people would stand in line for what would be hours to pick up mail.
    The point of this is, even with a monopoly they can't make money. Hell, they can't break even. Why is that? It's incompetence, indifference, corruption, waste, all the things you see in a government bureauracy.

#38     Mar 3, 2010
  9. I think we should give the government health care as well.

#39     Mar 3, 2010
  10. TGregg

TGregg

Spot on. Because when it comes to increasing efficiency, lowering costs and eliminating corruption, nobody beats the federal government.

#40     Mar 3, 2010