No more Saturday mail

Discussion in 'Economics' started by CaptainObvious, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mnphats

Mnphats

Exactly, and to top it off content sucks.

#11     Mar 2, 2010
  2. the problem with the post office is they are mandated to deliver mail, even if its one piece of junk mail, to every rural address 6 days a week no matter how far out in the sticks they live. nobody can make money under those conditions.
    mail service should be cut back to 5 days max and some of those rural customers should have to drive to their local post office to get their mail.
    there are towns in my state that died 50 years ago but are still required to maintain a post office. any attempt to shut them down by the post office is met with angry residents who browbeat the politicians into keeping them open. those same residents can be seen at the local tea party meeting screaming "cut big government". its madness but it is a red state.

#12     Mar 2, 2010
  3. Not true in all areas. Our family has a vacation property that is semi rural. You have to enter into a contract with the local postmaster or pick it up downtown.

#13     Mar 2, 2010
  4. USPS should be privatised and sold off

#14     Mar 2, 2010

5. +100000000000000000000

#15     Mar 2, 2010
  6. i will have to admit though they do a pretty amazing job. when is the last time you sent something and it didn't arrive to its destination. Never for me.

#16     Mar 2, 2010
  7. It arrives over 99.8%. I have seen funny things where I can get a letter from CA or TX to Denver faster than Southern CO, but nothing is perfect. All of us know why, it was pointed on ET before, electronic billing/payment is wiping out the Post Office. Wait til we get electronic medical records and flat tax, lots of ppl are no longer needed.

#17     Mar 2, 2010
  8. I remember my dad telling me he remembered mail delivery coming twice a day.

#18     Mar 2, 2010
  9. I really don't see how that would work, cutting out Sat deliveries. You think the mail you recieve on Sat can just be held till Monday? Easy enough, but then Monday, the carrier has perhaps as much as twice the mail to deliver on Monday.

#19     Mar 2, 2010
  10. Mail can really be delivered just once or twice a week. You just get a bigger pile when you do get mail. Stamp prices can then come down.

#20     Mar 2, 2010