No Job at All! Trading Screwed Labor Dept report.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NoMoreOptions, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Mecro

Mecro

Hehe here also. Service industry has the highest turn over. Many slim chances but you never know.

Healthcare, pharmacy, law is the way to go if you want a job.

#21     Oct 23, 2003
  2. Actually, the trend in dentistry is in the opposite direction. After the glut of new dentists graduating in the '70s and '80s, dental schools cut enrollment sharply. Most experts estimate that the dentist/patient ratio in the U.S. will hit its low point in the next 10-15 years. Even though this "crisis" is plainly visible on the horizon, dental schools have not yet increased enrollment to any significant degree as far as I know. It takes a while to turn a big ship like this around, and when it finally gets going the other way it's already time to turn it around again.

This makes for inefficient allocation of resources, but it's great for current dentists...

Jason

#22     Oct 23, 2003
  3. Mecro

Mecro

Could be due to the increasing demand for other doctor specialization (like plastic surgery), and pharmacists.

#23     Oct 23, 2003
  4. Good God Almighty

We are losing blue collar manufacturing jobs by the millions, and these clowns are talking about opportunities in dentistry!

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!

How much you wanna bet that these turkeys are all registered
    Republicans?

For the love of God, shut this forum down - I'm getting a toothache!

#24     Oct 23, 2003
  5. Wow, I certainly didn't expect to be called a "clown" who's "making stuff up" when I posted my message.

FWIW, I'm a private practice orthodontist, so I do have at least some knowledge of the current state of my profession. From the tone of your remark, I surmise that you have done a lot of research to determine that I'm "making stuff up." I tell you what, John: for every piece of evidence you can supply that shows the dentist/patient ratio in the U.S. increasing over the next 10-15 years, I'll respond with 2 pieces of evidence to the contrary. Then we'll see whether or not I'm "making stuff up."

I look forward to learning from your well-researched facts about the current state of the dental profession.

Regards,
    Jason

#25     Oct 23, 2003
  6. I think that what you're saying is that dental school enrollment is down due to increasing demand for other doctor specialization, etc.? I should have made clear that when I said dental schools have cut enrollment, I meant not that there are less applicants to dental schools. I meant that the maximum number of students accepted into dental schools in the U.S. was intentionally reduced in direct response to the perceived glut of dentists at the time. IIRC, this took place around the mid-1980s. In Texas, all 3 dental schools reduced their class sizes from around 150 students to 92 (or maybe it was 96) students, a drop of around 35-40%. As a result, the dentist/patient ratio in the U.S. has been declining recently. As I stated previously, this trend is expected to continue for another 10-15 years.

Regards,
    Jason

#26     Oct 23, 2003
  7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Jason, trust me it gets worse around here......just put the fools on "ignore"
    I agree there is a shortage of dentists and doctors. With the sky high malpractice insurance, health insurance cutting payments and lots of hungry lawyers who take any kind of half assed malpractice case and the specter of AIDS.....it is no wonder it is a troubled industry. And the lack of nurses in hospitals is dangerous.

#27     Oct 23, 2003
  8. Mecro

Mecro

Ok I understand. I guess it makes sense since dentistry has been around so long and is somewhat saturated. But there is such a demand in healthcare and with specialization it is only growing. Gotta keep the spoiled US public alive.

Still, dentists have a much much brighter job outlook than ohh lets say Finance (yours truly), Computer science, Web design majors.

#28     Oct 23, 2003
  9. omcate

omcate

Before 1992, US pharmaceutical companies did not have any significant layoffs for decades. It seems that they are not safe havens anymore.

======================================================

NEW YORK (Reuters) - While jobs in high-tech, transportation, financial services and other industries have disappeared by the tens of thousands since the late 1990s, the pharmaceutical industry had appeared to be a source of endless growth.

The latest blow -- and it was not a small one -- came this week when Merck & Co. Inc. announced it would cut 4,400 jobs, including 3,200 full-time positions, or about 5 percent of its work force.

Prior to the Merck announcement, troubled Schering-Plough Corp. said in August it planned about 1,000 job cuts.

Pfizer Inc. , the world's largest drug maker, has been coy about numbers, but its absorption of Pharmacia Corp. this year is expected to land thousands more industry workers on the unemployment line.

Baxter International Inc. and Cerus Corp. also announced massive job cuts this year.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=reutersEdge&storyID=3686691

:( :( :(
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

#29     Oct 25, 2003
  10. Does anyone have stats on the need for brain surgeons? Is that a growing field?

My uncle was just let go down at the mill, and is looking for a new line of work. Does anyone have any info, or maybe a web site to check out?

#30     Oct 25, 2003