NO DEAL! Back to the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Until they announce they will be printing to buy equities.

#11     Jan 1, 2013
  2. It's low probability. On further reading, Boehner made clear that any amendment will need all of the Republicans to vote for it. Unless that happens, it comes up for a vote and Boehner can count on around 100 votes from the Rep side, in which case it will pass. The Tea Partiers are being idiots, as usual, but I doubt the fact they can't process having lost the election (they never admit to losing, despite having cost, over the years, at least 5 Senate seats for the Rep side) is going to scuttle this deal. Just need to hedge in case, since Cantor is ready to take advantage of any opening he can get.

#12     Jan 1, 2013
  3. Well, if the vote for it I will skip voting until they get their shit together.

#13     Jan 1, 2013
  4. Max E.

Max E.

None of the tea party members currently in congress lost the election in their own districts, and you, and obama are the idiots for thinking they should just sell out their voters and kowtow to obama all because he was able to sneak through an election against a weak opponent with a complicit media.

#14     Jan 1, 2013
  5. pspr

pspr

Besides, they didn't lose their elections. Liberals don't understand that they didn't get a mandate. If they had, the House would be majority democratic too. It seems the House has it's own mandate.

#15     Jan 1, 2013
  6. I believe they need 218 votes in house. From what I am reading it doesn't look good.

al queda and the fiscal cliff have both been defeated.

#16     Jan 1, 2013
  7. pspr

pspr

Hmm. It sounds like take the deal or kill it. I say, kill it but we'll see what happens.

Speaker John Boehner is leaving the fate of the Senate-passed fiscal cliff deal in the hands of the House Republican Conference.

House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif.) vote-counting operation is kicking into full gear on Tuesday night — after the country has officially gone off the cliff — to gauge whether 218 Republicans would support amending the Senate bill with a package of spending cuts.

That would render essentially dead the deal reached early Tuesday morning between Senate GOPers and Vice President Biden, and could shake the nation’s recovering economy by hiking tax rates on all Americans and maintaining steep federal spending cuts because the Senate-approved plan to stop the full effects of the cliff wouldn’t take effect.

If there aren’t enough House Republicans who vote to tack on spending cuts, the House will hold an up-or-down vote on the Senate cliff bill, which hikes tax rates on income over $450,000.

The late move is classic Boehner — he always says he wants the House Republican Conference to work its will, and he’s letting the 241 members decide the fate of tax rates for all Americans.

“The Speaker and the [House Majority] Leader both cautioned members about the risk in such a strategy. They told them there is no guarantee the Senate would act on it,” a leadership aide said.

A Senate Democratic leadership aide said Monday evening: “We will absolutely not take up the House bill if they change the bipartisan agreement reached in the Senate.”

On the floor, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) closed the Senate Tuesday evening without addressing the House situation.

“Everyone’s just as tired as I am, I’m sure,” Reid said. “So I appreciate very much the hard work. And we hope tomorrow will go well.”

But finding 218 Republicans to agree on anything is a steep climb. Boehner couldn’t even garner enough GOP votes to put his “Plan B” tax proposal to raise taxes on millionaires to a vote, and Democrats have been needed to pass most large-scale deals all year.

The question comes down to this: do enough House Republicans want to see tax rates spike on all Americans and the sequester take hold? The House GOP leadership will soon find out.

If not, the Senate tax bill will likely pass the House, with strong Democratic support.

House Republicans believe the Senate bill lacks sufficient spending cuts. But amending the Senate-struck deal would require the upper chamber to reconsider another measure before the new Congress is sworn-in on Thursday, something officials say is all but impossible because any member can object to scheduling a quick vote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/senate-clears-fiscal-cliff-deal-89-8-85640.html

#17     Jan 1, 2013
  8. pspr

pspr

Hollywood has their payback in the bill.

Section 317 of the freshly approved legislation includes an extension for "special expensing rules for certain film and television productions." Congress first enacted production tax incentives favorable to the domestic entertainment industry in 2004, and extended them in 2008, but the deal was meant to expire in 2011.

The fiscal cliff deal extends the tax incentives through 2013--even as payroll taxes rise on ordinary Americans.

The original tax incentive applied to productions costing less than $15 million to make ($20 million in low-income areas). The 2008 extension applies to all films, up to a deduction of $15 million (or $20 million in low-income areas). The incentive is especially generous to television series; it applies to each TV episode.

Hollywood players routinely beg the government to raise their taxes so they can pay their "fair share."

Yet the industry moves new productions to places where existing tax breaks help its bottom line. That means plenty of shows and films are shot in states like New Mexico, which feature highly favorable tax rates, as well as destinations north of the border with similar perks.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/01/01/hollywood-loophole-fiscal-cliff

#18     Jan 1, 2013
  9. Liberal douche bags of the worst kind.

#19     Jan 1, 2013
  10. pspr

pspr

And,

The "fiscal cliff" deal reached by the Senate and the White House on New Year's Eve, and passed in legislative form by the Senate early New Year's Day, includes many giveaways to special interests--including an extension of a perk enjoyed by "motorsports entertainment complexes" otherwise known as the "NASCAR tax credit."

The provision, under section 168(i)(15) of the federal tax code, allows speedways to write off their costs over seven years. Typically, such expensing occurs over a much longer period of time, from 15 to 39 years. The cost of the NASCAR tax credit to taxpayers has been estimated at some $40 million--over and above any tax incentives provided by state and local authorities.

The democraps have to take care of their donors at the expense of the average Joe.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...-Fiscal-Cliff-Bill-Includes-NASCAR-Tax-Credit

#20     Jan 1, 2013