No carb diet - anybody doing it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hapaboy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Many thanks. It's a good start!

#31     Jan 27, 2010
  2. Wow, thanks for all the responses. Much to digest (excuse the pun).

I've just started to develop a tire around the middle and have come to the realization that I need to change my diet, do more exercise, etc.

I used to be able to eat as much as I wanted and never gained a pound, but those days have come to an end.

#32     Jan 28, 2010
  3. Your fear of carbs is misplaced..it's refined processed carbs that should be restricted. As well BEEF :D

#33     Jan 28, 2010
  4. I dunno why you keep posting, pretty much everyone has put you on ignore. Including me starting now

#34     Jan 28, 2010
  5. I've done low carb/Atkins back in the day and still try to follow the basic principle. The adage for losing fat & getting more lean is "less starch & sugars, more protein & vegetables".

When done seriously with working out & training, the results are quite spectacular. I used to be quite vain back then and it showed in my appearance.

Nowdays I just try to follow the basic rules by eating less refined starch & sugars, but it's pretty hard to follow it strictly. I will say that contrary to what low carb proponents believe (and what I used to believe), you do not have to follow some magic 20-30gram net carb number. Aim toward whole grain foods and try to eat lot of fibrous vegetables. Avoid soda and packaged fruit juices. Stay away from all artificial sweeteners, they just screw up your metabolism. And to keep it simple, just try to eat good quality protein, it fills you up and promotes weight loss.

#35     Jan 28, 2010
  6. what is "good quality" protein? is it protein lower in fat? :confused:

#36     Jan 28, 2010
  7. I call "good quality" protein PLANT protein because it is devoid of saturated fat, low in total fat and chock full of nutrients, inc PHYTONUTRIENTS those have been in news! ! That is GOOD QUALITY protein in my book!

When you look at long lived populations, a plant based diet, is one of the common denominators :D

http://quest.bluezones.com/live-longer-better

#37     Jan 28, 2010
  8. Will trade for carbs.

#38     Jan 28, 2010
  9. Here is studies of why and how this diet work. So it look like yes you can lose weight because you make metabolism faster, and you eat less calories.
    But you miss the nutrition of some fruit and vegetable?
    Does not sound healthy to me.
    http://www.dietandbody.com/Atkins_calories.html

#39     Jan 28, 2010
  10. why would anyone arbitrarily say i am going to eliminate carbs but still eat lots of fat?? does that make any sense in face of decades of nutritional research to contrary? GREAT TRADERS don't be stupid in this one area of your life ..your health is most important :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

#40     Jan 29, 2010