No carb diet - anybody doing it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hapaboy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. *Sigh*

You are correct. I'm 0 for 2 today. I haven't messed with those numbers in a while, and I knew two of the three were essentially the same. I just "remembered" the wrong two. Thanks.

#21     Jan 27, 2010
  2. I didn't have those links available in my earlier post, but here they are now.

Chocolate Cake (237 cal, 7 carbs, 50 sodium, 3 fiber)

Hot Chocolate (42 calories, 4 carbs, 162 sodium, 0 fiber) - 2 servings

Ice Cream Bars. (170 calories, 9 carbs, 45 sodium, 2 fiber)

In addition, replacing flour and sugar with Carbquick and Splenda significantly reduces the carb intake in any recipe. I'll often make waffles (or pancakes) using these two replacement items. To add flavor to your sweet treats (without adding carbs) Davinci's has an entire line of sugar free (and carb free) flavorings.

Edit: I cannot seem to locate the 'Cheescake' recipe online, but I am still searching.

HTH.

- Spydertrader

#22     Jan 27, 2010
  3. #23     Jan 27, 2010
  4. Yes. You can now buy Diet Soda sweetened with Stevia in a variety of flavors.

- Spydertrader

#24     Jan 27, 2010
  5. I was on Atkins several years ago and lasted for 5 years total (first 2 years very strict, next 3 years on and off). When I say strict, I mean you think you can conquer the world with chicken, high fat dairy and lettuce. I was eating pocket chicken (when I say pocket, I mean I literally brought chicken with me places it shouldn’t go), bricks of cheese (why have 1 slice when you can have the entire brick) and loads of green veggies. This all worked well and I looked good. Eventually, the cravings began and when you start steering away from the “induction” stage foods you gain weight INSTANTLY and you feel disgusting. This was not a pleasant experience. I would not recommend it to anyone for long periods of time (a healthy diet shouldn't tell you to cut out fruit), but if you want to crash diet, it’s good and works.

Gabfly, I appreciate your choice of foods, but do you ever stray?

#25     Jan 27, 2010
  6. Tried it
    lasted five days

#26     Jan 27, 2010
  7. Only occasionally. However, that is more a function of having a broad choice of good foods to choose from rather than possessing martyr-like discipline. I eat a fair amount of food. You would not think I was on a diet if you saw my meals, and I'm not. But I have held my weight for as long as I can remember. (Working out helps.) I have small amounts of dark chocolate daily. I don't consider that straying. Having more than 2 slices of bread is straying, but I usually have only one. French fries or cake, maybe once a month, and then only in small portions. Maybe. But I'm never hungry. In fact, I keep thinking I should try eating less, because I read that longevity increases with decreased caloric intake, all else being equal. However, I dislike hunger. Perhaps in this way I stray. And of course, there are the occasional hot bagels straight out of a wood-burning oven...

You've been away for a while. I hope all is well.

P.S. The regimen you described strikes me as somewhat high in saturated fats. I don't think that's a good thing.

#27     Jan 27, 2010
  8. You're right but it builds character :)

Tell me about those bagels. Particulary, do they compare to NYC bagels? Are there any good bagel places in Ottawa? This information will be GREATLY appreciated.

#28     Jan 27, 2010
  9. Well, I don't know about that. But I have no doubt it helps straighten one's posture, what with all the arteries hardening...

#29     Jan 27, 2010
  10. Montreal is the bagel capital of the world. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That is all I know. I have tried bagels elsewhere but, on balance, they don't compare. Other cities tout Montreal bagel technology, but those claims have about as much substance as the center of a bagel. Perhaps my sampling was not representative, but there you have it.

#30     Jan 27, 2010