No Boot Screen, No Beep, No Nuthin'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hcour, Apr 15, 2008.

1. hcour

hcour Guest

One of my computers won't boot. Nothing comes up on the screen, there are no "beeps", nothing. It just sits there w/the drives being accessed, fans running.

I've replaced the video card as that was going bad, but it didn't fix it.

I've never experienced this before. Anytime I've ever had a hardware problem I at least got the "Beeps"!

Any help appreciated,
    Harold

2. could be several things from a bad power supply. is it new? will it boot into the BIOS?

3. Defective Mainboard, most likely.

4. hcour

hcour Guest

It does nothing, no bios, nothing.

I was also thinking bad mb. It's about 5 yrs old.

Thanks guys,
    H

5. 5 yrs old? Time for an upgrade anyway. If you really want to test it out, take out all cards except video, disconnect all drives(HD,dvd,floppy) and pull all but one memory stick. connect just keyboard, mouse, (ps/2) and monitor. If it still wont post, trash it.

6. hcour

hcour Guest

For what I use it for there's absolutely no need for an upgrade, unless I'm forced to because the mb is bad.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try tomorrow.

H

7. R.I.P.

8. mokwit

mokwit

I had something similar. As was suggested, try pulling out/disconnecting all cards etc. My problem turned out to be a faulty memory stick.

9. Could be a number of things. As one suggested earlier, it could be memory stick. I had something like that happen to me on multi occasion, had it happen to me on faulty hd, video card, ram, and power supply. But since your fan turns on, it couldn't be the PS.

10. Adding one thing to this, before trashing it swap to one of the other memory sticks then retry it...just to be sure you didn't try with the bad stick.

Also to check the PS you can use a voltmeter to check the voltage leves at each of the points....tedious I know but could end up saving you some cash if that is it.

#10     Apr 15, 2008