NLP Nonsense

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by aeliodon, Mar 2, 2007.

1. WTF?!

I was merely pointing out that losers are physically crushed (as well as emotionally) despite having done no more physical work than the winners.

Wasn't meant to be deep, just a tangentially relevant observation with obvious parallels in trading.

Your 'importance of losing' - do you mean the desire for revenge etc?

#41     Mar 3, 2007
  2. Ezzy

Ezzy

With losing you can have much more psychological damage that you might not be able to recover from. Baggage.

There is the view that all learning comes from failure. Do something wrong, you fix or correct it, and you've learned. Learning from success would be preferable.

Losing a weekend game in tennis, football or whatever, it might not be that big of a deal. You get smacked in the markets too much too badly and you can end up with some serious problems.

#42     Mar 3, 2007
  3. A whole bunch of quiries (Whys) are appearing in the Wins and Losses thread.

In ET there are a few topical threads appearing where some people are beginning to define some of the aspects of traders and trading in the conventional orthodoxy paradigm.

A lot of the posts are backing up the whys of fear, anger, anxiety and anger.

A few comments on learning from mistakes are also there for consideration.

I look forward to more and more of this falling in place; it will go far to explain how the standards of performance are set in this paradigm.

Many seasoned traders are beginning to explain how they got to where they are for explaining how their standards are the basis of reasoning through the convnetional orthodoxy.

It will be good to have a broad and thorough foundation articulated by these people who form the cornerstone of the conventional orthodoxy.

What is the center of the conventional orthodoxy?

Where do the psychological and physiological and emotional measurements and their corresponding conclusions that scientists and sociologists and others are presenting in the body of information now gaining recognition, come from?

A person is trading (big money and well known) and he displays fear, anxiety and anger, why?

What is Cramer exhibiting?

#43     Mar 4, 2007
  4. I think I know what you're saying but I also think you're probably too smart to be susceptible to the 'Tony Robbins' type thing.

With regard to this comment about weight, I am not sure I would strictly agree. Look, the vast majority of people who fail to lose weight do so because they cannot do one simple thing - burn more calories than they are taking in. Metabolism and physiology have little to do with it. People who lose weight are able to do this. For most who can't, discipline is the issue. If a fat person models his actions on those of someone who has successfully lost weight, he will by definition be burning more calories than he consumes. That in itself can work just fine.

Again, I share a skepticism about the Guthy-Renker business of selling dreams.

Last comment is that I believe firmly in the idea that learning computers will play a fundamental role in our lives, and part of that will be teaching computers how to model their behaviour on successful behaviours that they observe.

#44     Mar 4, 2007