NLP...care to share?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Steve Tvardek, Dec 21, 2005.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I do know that visualization is a way to program the unconscious. When my daughter was little, she and her friends would come through the front door of the house and leave it open every time. I mentioned it to them a couple of times, the behavior did nto change, then I took a couple of minutes and did an exercise where they pictured themselves closing the door when they came in. It was difficult for them, they could not make the picture happen so I walked them through it ever so nicely so they could make the picture. Voila!! Right from that day they started closing the door with a very high completion rate. Now that kind of thing is in the "programming the mind" area for performing a task, pretty basic stuff. Whether it can be raised to some other level to improve ones condition I do not know.

I worked with a woman that had absolutely no emotional control and would get angry and all upset. I would ask her to close her eyes and visualize a nice sunny day at the beach and in about 30 seconds she would be so very much better off and able to cope. That is programming emotions and thoughts and it works quite well but again I have no clue if the leap can be made to where we can apply such things to our situations.

If we undertake NLP and wind up doing a lot of negative introspection in the process of trying to improve, it will lead to depression. Depressed people put a negative spin on all the events of their lives and their vision of the future and they do a lot of negative introspection. Maybe it is best to go to a NLP counselor, do the stuff in little sessions and not dwell on things much otherwise?

#51     Dec 22, 2005
  2. Cesko

Cesko

It's true. And it is easy to prove it. Just try to catch the beginning of your every thought. If you cannot do it (and you won't) then it can be said that you do not think but you are being thought. Even after years of concentration exercises you won't be able to do it (personnal experience). If you manage to do it during your lifetime, you are beyond humanity. How it feels? I do not know.
    Thousands years old texts will teach you that at that point (besides anything else) you can do the true "magick" with your mind.

#52     Dec 23, 2005
  3. Hi Steve:

I think we all have been able to see NLP at work 'ad nauseam", i.e. Jack's unbelievable heap of BS.

Commenting on your: "Says it does wonders for improving ones self in all areas of life", this most certainly does not hold for succesfully speculating in the market. I suggest you try it out on any other crazy endaevour - I don't have any time for that kind of crap.

#53     Dec 23, 2005
  4. The thing is, I do successfully speculate in the markets, that is to say I know how to make good money day trading equities. Its more the matter of becoming better and better and rising above the shortcomings I see that I have as a trader (we could all make better traders, more $$$ etc). If there is a way to get past a few barriers in the most efficient and effective way possible, I am all for it. My thinking was that NLP may be a method worth looking in to.

#54     Dec 23, 2005
  5. Tradefox

Tradefox

Steve

Trust me after 7 years of study and a Master practioner/Trainer I still have the same issues as many other traders do (I've been trading 3 years fulltime).

I would be happy to give you some free NLP advise, consulting and exercises if you like just pm me.

#55     Dec 23, 2005
  6. danoXP

danoXP

How much logical control do you have over your mind's own actions? And once you identify an anomaly in your behavior you want to correct, how much power do you have to correct it? Tough questions.

Try this:

While sitting at your desk make clockwise circles
    with your right foot.
    While doing this, draw the number "6" in the air
    with your right hand.
    your foot will change direction.

#56     Dec 23, 2005
  7. swheat

swheat

About forty years ago Napolion Hill wrote a book called "Think and grow rich."
    Basically he says set written goals for yourself and focus your thoughts and emotions on them night and day. Live a clean life and treat yourself and others with respect.

Thats really all you need to do.

#57     Dec 23, 2005
  8. At the "risk" of repeating myself, I really think that anyone who has any interest in NLP should go to the site I hyperlinked earlier in this thread. At the very least, please read the Criticism section. It is quite an eye opener. Essentially, and rather objectively, NLP is largely regarded as the "scientology of achievement."

Caveat emptor.

#58     Dec 23, 2005
  9. Hey:

I wonder if anyone remembers the movie "Amadeus". I kind of liked it. The basic premise was that Mozart was an irritating twit possessed of tremendous natural ability characteristic of a musical genius. A contemporary of his, Salieri, was a man of more moderate skills, talented, hardworking, God fearing, even gifted in his own way, but destined to be second best when seen next to this musical giant.

I guess one wonders if Salieri would have been instantly able to compete with or even surpass Mozart, if he had just had an NLP trainer to assist him. I am guessing "not"....:D

This is interesting to me, because I am not one of the "naturals" when it comes to trading. Never will be, and I have had to reconcile myself to the fact that whatever success I had or will have, is due primarily to old fashioned hard work. I have to agree with Thunderdog's assessment about NLP. Seems to me that modeling success is important, but one can't use NLP techniques as a substitute for hard work, trial and error and experience.

Good luck folks,
    Steve

#59     Dec 23, 2005
  10. Yes but what is hard work? Focused energy!? I think everyone can become a master trader, painter or pianist over night. Can..

I read about a project where they researched about how well sportsmen would do by physically practising tecniques etc compared to the same thing but by visualization. The people who had practised the sport "inside their heads" showed far better results. But that is just one report i read without knowing history and details. Have noticed the benefit of visualization though.

Now i will visualize Santa with a BIG bag... :p

Merry Christmas everyone!

Free books
    http://www.psitek.net/index2.html

#60     Dec 24, 2005