NLP...care to share?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Steve Tvardek, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Is not NLP the same as what we could call magick, manifestation, remote influencing and Yatha sankalpa in Yoga (If that is the right term)?

I read somewhere that we are acting unconsciously 95% of the time. Is it true? So we are slaves to habits. Like programmed robots. What i also read is that by accessing Alpha (That is the Silva method), Theta or even Delta brainwaves with awarness and there do the "deprogramming" by visualization etc, then it can have "magick" effects.

#31     Dec 22, 2005
  2. It's not only DEprogramming, but als REprogramming.
    You have to replace a programmed thing by another programm.

The only thing i still use is the waking up system: i say to myself before going to sleep at what time i want to wake up. And i must admit that is works most of the time.

#32     Dec 22, 2005
  3. The "act as if" attitude is an incredibly small piece of it. To say it's "NLP in short" is to not understand NLP's basic tenets.

#33     Dec 22, 2005
  4. No, it is not magick, it is logic. Thus far, those in this thread who have tried to characterize NLP have been not only off base, but not even in the ball park. Please understand, I'm not try start a fight, I've just seen so much inaccuracy that it's not fair to someone who wants to know what this stuff is about. There are NO one line, pat answers to describe this stuff.

It's not so much that we act unconsciously, but rather act in an automated way. The idea that humans have free choice is an illusion. Some, VERY advanced versions of human beings actually do have free choice. Almost everyone who thinks they do, don't. This is why 95% of people lose in the trading game.

#34     Dec 22, 2005
  5. Direct commands to oneself, in the appropriate state, can be very powerful, depending on the individual. But, this is not NLP. It may or may not be a form of hypnosis.

NLP can involve REprogramming, but it doesn't have to. When REprogramming is involved, according to Bandler, generative change is what is sought. This is akin to mental evolution.

I hope those interested are beginning to understand the deep levels that NLP and related subjects attempt to have an impact upon for an individual. If I had to sum it up (which is quite a feat and rather limiting) is this: NLP involves modeling excellence, it separates content from process and focuses on process, and it attemts to establish a framework for understanding the patterned (or automated) way in which humans function. Finally, it seeks to employ what is learned in the above mentioned areas and make practical changes to one self.

#35     Dec 22, 2005

6. I read an older thread where i think Scientist said NLP had cured his Hayfever and that even scars could be healed. It´s cell memory. Well, who knows..

We have only free choice within the box perhaps. But it´s hard to be aware all the time, don´t you think? The mind is there to label and filter everything

#36     Dec 22, 2005
  7. #37     Dec 22, 2005
  8. danielc1

danielc1

I did not mean 'act if' with the statement.

The NLP modeling process always start with what you believe is true in your live. That thought process is the result of your reality. Changing your reality start with adopting and changing your believes about something. Money, time or capability of what you are able to do, are all made up in your mind before materializing in reality. So " if you think you can, you can or when you think you can't you can't" is the basic principle why NLP exist in the first place.

#38     Dec 22, 2005
  9. Here is a fairly comprehensive overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming#Criticism

Please be sure to read the Criticism section as well.

#39     Dec 22, 2005
  10. This, IMHO (and others of course) the challenge most of us face. We (especially as a culture) tend to be stuck in the auditory modality (that is, we talk to ourselves in our head and call it thinking). Thinking as a way to awareness is most limiting. Restricting ourselves to the employment of our head and not our bodies is the root cause of a great deal of pain and likely most disease.

When people here about things like hayfever, migraines, life time phobias, etc; going away, disappearing in minutes, disbelief often follows. The disbelief is based on the belief that things need to take a long time and a lot of other mind reading. Most rapid change stems not from a shift in belief (which admittedly can take some time) but changing other than conscious anchors. Anchors act as sort of an on/off swithch for various behaviors.

#40     Dec 22, 2005