NLP...care to share?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Steve Tvardek, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Whoever gets results is whom I want to go to. Real results is what it is all about! I don't care if they are a business man, a chinese monk, or a shaman, if they can get it done that's what matters most.

#21     Dec 21, 2005
  2. That fact that you put your faith in them is what gives you that initial boost. It is a kind of placebo effect that results when you embark on what you believe to be positive, corrective action. Hopefully, the course on which you have embarked will have enough substance to provide the necessary follow-through when the initial novelty of "doing something" wears off. It is that follow-through that I question.

#22     Dec 21, 2005

3. most people do it all the time.

modern health care, mental and otherwise, is big business.

surfer

#23     Dec 21, 2005
  4. Even the best of the best need help with follow through, Professional athletes use them, even Paul Tudor Jones uses them(coaches that is). As I said earlier, I often refer back to the materials when times get tough, or I am feeling a sense of uncertainty, or lack of confidence, or feeling unmotivated, and it helps me change my focus, get back on track and on plan.

#24     Dec 21, 2005
  5. At least modern health care is still attended to by doctors. You can become a "Master NLP Practitioner" in a matter of days or a couple of weeks or so, if you spend enough money. Can you not see the difference?

#25     Dec 21, 2005
  6. Thanks for the response. Too funny, I'm 6'2 ~190 and played college ball too. Catcher. Right now my life revolves around traveling and surfing, and the markets of course. In terms of physical exercise, I'm lucky because I live steps from the beach in town with very good surf. This keeps me in decent shape. I've thought about moving to Chicago or New York but would probably get fat really quick given the lack of quality waves. I have a difficult time exercising if its not exciting.

Anyway, back to the NLP stuff. This line you write really sticks out:

"can see myself hitting a wall at some point"

From what I've read about the subject, an NLP practicer will first identify what it is that's holding you back - so on your own you've already gotten to first base by identifying the "wall". From then on, and this is based from material I've read, not personal experience, they will walk you through visualization exercises that show you getting over the wall. While it sounds neat in concept, I personally see this is a form of mild hypnosis. Hypnosis doesn't work on me, I have too active a mind and do not "release" my thoughts easily. I've been known to get really "wound-up" and very hyper which could possibly be the reason I was not hypnotized when someone tried it on me. Anyway, I do my own visualizations and they work pretty well.

I would also believe that NLP is not the same as having a coach. I do strongly believe in coaching, especially the psychological aspect. While NLP is a useful tool, it sounds like you are already advanced enough in your self-actualization to take the right steps. Might I suggest a personal trainer for exercise? That could be a good way to start breaking down walls of physical health, via someone who will push you until you puke...

#26     Dec 21, 2005

7. I have tried some self-hypnotic stuff (free and very professional and good for the price) and found good results. I do agree that you have to be willing and open for such things to be effective. However, if your brain believes something than it is as good as true! (unless it is severe physical harm) I have found self-hypnotism useful for extreme relaxtion and visualization...nothing more.

RT

#27     Dec 22, 2005
  8. Same here. I make it a point to listed to the two Anthony Robbins CDs I have once each quarter:

1. personal power I (late 80s early 90s).
    2. awaken the giant within

It's $25 well spent.

#28     Dec 22, 2005
  9. I have avoided commenting on NLP and hypnosis because of the slamming that people with no clue respond with. But in this case I just have to but in....

So far in this thread I've counted several comments along the line of "I read a book a few years back" or "I took a 2 day seminar" and those very same people said the "stuff didn't work".

I got news for you that made those type of comments: EVERYTHING in life that is worthwhile takes some effort, usually a lot. It takes study and practice and sorting out good education from not so good, etc etc etc.

For those interested, I would suggest to you that NLP (and related studies) is about DEprogramming, not the other way around. I have roughly ten years of experience and various trainings. A certificate that is provided after a few day seminar is just that, a certificate. That's only the start.

NLP is not some new age hocus pocus created by some guru. It's a methodology developed by modeling some of the greatest thinkers and doers of our time. It's based on duplicating results. It's not perfect, what is?

For those seriously interested in getting first hand knowledge, I strongly suggest tracking down a book called Frogs Into Princes or Using Your Brain For A Change. Both are written by Richard Bandler, one of the original developers of NLP. His most current work is called Design Human Engineering. For those that have beliefs firmly entrenched in human limitations, I wouldn't bother looking into this. You would likely find some excuse as to why it "can't work". For me, results are my guide, so I continue with NLP derived work and will continue to investigate the leading edge of human understanding until the universe has it's way with me.

#29     Dec 22, 2005
  10. danielc1

danielc1

"When you think you can, you can, and when you think you can't, you can't" that's NLP in short.

#30     Dec 22, 2005