Ninjatrader Wizard and Stop Loss Question

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by rickf, Feb 28, 2008.

1. rickf

rickf

Hi, all --

I'm experimenting with NT this week and it's not half-bad to learn with in demo mode. Unfortunately, I am not a scripter and am, for the moment, confined to using the Strategy Wizard to generate basic strategies to backtest.

My situation is this:

I can create a fixed profit target (ie, X ticks from entry) without a problem. However, *every* attempt I've made to enter a fixed stop loss does not work. At this (simple) stage of my research I want to have 2 exit strategies placed:

Exit position at X ticks from entry (fixed profit - I can do this)
    Exit position at Y ticks from entry if the price goes against me (fixed stop loss - can't get this working)

Since I can't seem to get a handle on why the fixed stop loss won't fire, as a result, every strategy I backtest on the ES I will "lose" 20 points+ on the same few days because there's no way in the script to exit the position if it goes against my original entry point by a set amount.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong in the wizard?

I checked the NT forums and didn't get anywhere there, so I figured to try my luck here in the ET world.

Thanks in advance for any insights/solutions!

2. I don't have NT in front of me, but what have to do is go into properties of the Dynamic Super DOM and set the unit of measurement as "ticks", this should resolve the problem.

Let us know how it works for you.

3. If you’re using strategy builder you should be entering this information in the “Stops and targets” screen.

You can set stop loss by percentage, ticks, or price, be sure you have selected the correct option on the properties of the stop loss action. You can also set trailing stop, or dollar stop, these are different "actions" than the standard Stop Loss.

If you are stuck post up your generated code on the Ninja forum, someone should be able to help out.

Regards,
    Guy