NinjaTrader - Stay Away From It!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BillCh, Mar 6, 2009.

1. I use the ninja support forum when I have trouble programming. They have a great forum, it's not a kindergarten where a troll can pose as an expert and give bad answers out. They control the forum by being very responsive and accurate.

The only hassle I have with ninja is getting data into charts, with IB you can't get much history, they have not learned how to throttle the downloads so IB will supply the data. I had other data problems too, as in importing ASCII and then not having it available for the chart, still haven't figured that mess out probably only because I have not bothered to check out the instructional videos. Ninja should make it a goal to make their data acquisition into charts go as well as that of Tradestation... I'd love it at that point...

#41     Mar 25, 2009
  2. If dot-net were such a great software platform for development, why has it taken literally 3 years to go from NT 6.5 to 7.0 ?
    Query me that batman !
    It's gotta be a total rewrite.
    Nothing else would explain that outrageous time-to-market.

#42     Mar 25, 2009
  3. auspiv

auspiv

how about rewriting to take advantage of more than one core?

#43     Mar 26, 2009
  4. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

NT 6.5 was released on April 2, 2008. By my count, that is about 1 year.

#44     Mar 26, 2009
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

I have not read the whole thread, but disagree with OP competently.

I can only say great things about ninja.

I am not sure how many windows it can handle without major issue, but one of the things with custom development is that IT NEEDS TO BE DONE RIGHT.

Inefficient coding in heavy data load event such as OnMarketDepth can easily stop indicator/strategy from working.

Ninja has good charting and also gives full coding access to Time&Sale and DOM among many other things.

Regards,
    redduke

#45     Mar 26, 2009
  6. I agree 100% with RedDuke.

#46     Mar 26, 2009
  7. You advanced math guys are always showboating. :D

#47     Mar 26, 2009
  8. moo

moo

What, can you use something else than TWS with IB?? How exactly, is it complicated?

Would NT also work with QuoteTracker?

And aren't those daily crashes very annoying?

#48     Mar 26, 2009
  9. It's a good software, RedDuke, but it tries to be all things to all people.

It has the order entry portion, charting portion and an automtaed trading portion.
    NT orginally started out as a great order entry tool used by guys who wanted a good DOM order entry tool with some sophisticated features that most other software on the market at that time just didn't have.

Now it has become a resource hog and has tons of stuff that I don't use and probably never will, but I'm still paying for those services which are being rendered.

Like I said before, it's trying to be all things to all people, and that isn't something that I agree with or desire in my software platforms ... I just want them to do the simple things, well.

Regards

#49     Mar 26, 2009
  10. Harald

Harald

You can easily connect NT to the API of TWS.

I did not try NT with QuoteTracker. Why should I connect NT to QuoteTracker and QuoteTracker to a data feed, if I can connect NT directly to a data feed. I am not looking for trouble, so I am not running software chains.

Otherwise you cannot compare QT and NT, QT is an excellent little tool, which I happily used some time ago. What QT cannot do: Order execution via DOM, automated trade management, fully automated trading, backtesting of stategies. Also QT's lookback period for intraday charts is limited to 2 weeks, whereas NT has no limitations. QT also has no real programming language.

I only discovered two advantages of QT versus NT
    - You can manually delete spikes (quite convenient if you use backfill from IB, as their data is not clean).
    - With QT you can define time frames and attach them to exchange & instruments, while NT will only allow you to attach session times to your chart.

The crashes have been caused by the market analyzer, as NT sometimes confuses backfilling charts and backfilling the instruments that I have on the market analyzer. Crashes can be mostly avoided, if the market analyzer is closed. If you just have a couple of intraday charts and the DOM within one workspace, NT is relatively stable.

#50     Mar 26, 2009