NinjaTrader - Stay Away From It!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BillCh, Mar 6, 2009.

1. That'll do it.

Which is why I have to be very calm and focused when entering my trades. I don't get that "freeze" with other apps, so eventually I'll just move to one that I like better.

#31     Mar 9, 2009
  2. I´m not a scalper so never feel the need to do rapid trading actions. I place my entries and targets and then move on to the next trade.

Usually what makes Ninja crash is the loading of historical data during market hours. The more data you try to load the higher the chances of crashing.

Plenty of multiple charts at once is also asking for it.

Very disturbing.

Susana

#32     Mar 9, 2009
  3. Harald

Harald

I am using NT with Interactive Brokers. It is a bit tricky, but in the end it works. I do have some crashes during backfill, which is when I connect. So I do regular backups (several per day) and if necessary restore the data base.

NT is a very good piece of software with one major problem, which is stability. So I would not use it for scalping or automated trading. Otherwise it is fine. Once you learned some bits of C# the charting is extremely powerful, and I love the ATM strategies.

#33     Mar 9, 2009
  4. Ninjatrader runs lean and mean with zenfire feed on a good dual core box with XP Pro.......no complaints here! :)

#34     Mar 9, 2009
  5. nevadan

nevadan

Regarding the freeze ups--I had that problem a few times and tech support at Mirus had me reset my data base. For some reason this solution is not out there as general information. The problem is that as the historical data from executed trades accumulates in the software it somehow interferes with real time operation. Once I started to do this update on a weekly basis I have not had any more problems.

Here is the drill:
    In Control Center go to tools>options>misc>reset DB.
    Resetting the DB will erase all the trades that Ninja has in memory for the P&L,chart trade visualizations, etc. So if you need to keep those records for your trading method you will need to save them with an export to Excel or a screen shot. Once I started purging those files in Ninja once a week I have had no more issues with the software locking up. Hope that helps.

#35     Mar 9, 2009
  6. I would wait for v7 to give it a close look which is due in (end?) of 2nd Q this year. Some of these development/feature issues are undoubtedly being addressed based on user feedback from v6.5.

Learning to do the code is not only learning C#, but NinjaTrader's syntax implementation to access price bars, bar counts, etc., stuff that is specific to the charting environment (e.g. CurrentBar = most recent bar, Serialization of Color and Font settings - or else the settings won't be saved and have to be re-entered every time, etc.. I'm still trying to figure out TimeSpan, and instead convert my time period settings to integers).

But maybe some of the stuff like trendline values might be easy to access by the next version...

#36     Mar 9, 2009
  7. I already tried that some weeks ago, didn´t help.
    As long as things run smoothly during live trading i´ll be ok, maybe it really is a simulator problem

#37     Mar 9, 2009
  8. Yeah but it wouldn't matter if you had a dozen cores. Ninja isn't architected to take advantage of multiple cores itself.
    Multiple cores only useful at this time for running multiple programs using the affinity option of the Windows O/S.
    In fact this just might explain why NT 7 is just so late to market....they are likely trying to make it run on multiple cores.

#38     Mar 9, 2009
  9. Correct, and having a good box with dual core as I mentioned would then allow you to take advantage of the SOON upcoming NT7..... :) Also, boxes with dual core are dirt cheap these days so why not?

#39     Mar 9, 2009
  10. yada

yada

easy interface. tough support. poor responsiveness of platform
    4 on 10.

first time you get into trouble fixing your chart bars or... and crap. where is there fone number?
    anyways i waisted too much time back and forth on email trying to get the simplest thing fixed.

anyone recommend a platform with solid S-E-R-V-I-C-E to stand behind?

#40     Mar 25, 2009