NinjaTrader - Stay Away From It!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BillCh, Mar 6, 2009.

1. I use Ninja Trader and Mirus for all of my trading and quite pleased with the package and the brokerage service until the program decides to unexpectedly crash with or without a trade on.

It gets quite irritating. Trading platforms should be as stable as software packages come and in that regard Ninja Trader needs a lot of help, it's also very taxing on your computer, if you can live with the above, I suppose the package is adequate. I say it is not quite ready yet.

Susana

#21     Mar 9, 2009
  2. Susanna, I've used NT with Mirus/ZF for 3+ years, and quite honestly, I can never recall it suddenly crashing on its own. The rare problem I've had has been when the ZF feed had an issue (which I can count on one hand in those 3+ years).

I've used it on two different laptops (both with lots of memory) without a problem. I have several friends who use NT and haven't ever reported crashing problems either. I've used 3 different futures trading platforms and found NT to be the most stable and reliable.

I wonder if your sudden crash problems are related to some system conflict in your computer.

#22     Mar 9, 2009
  3. It has not crashed on me in a very long-time, but it has happened in the past.

You should check your computer resources Susana, we are all working with different types of machines with different specs, so that might be where the problem lies.

I do agree that NT is a resource hog, and since I do not trade automated, I am paying for services that I do not want.

But like I said, it's good for now.

Good trading.

#23     Mar 9, 2009
  4. The current version of NT is also not officially certified to run on 64bit, though some report they have it working in XP Pro and Vista (details are in their forum).

#24     Mar 9, 2009
  5. Thank you for the suggestions I will hire a technician to try to identify the problem, many times its the illiteracy of the computer user.

Susana

#25     Mar 9, 2009
  6. I also trade through Mirus/Zenfire, I don´t use Ninja charting, only have one static dom open for trade execution of YM, Ninja is running on a brand new separate machine.
    My problem is that Ninja freezes several times a day when trading in simulation mode, and the only solution is to restart my pc. The freezeup never occured during live trading, so it could be a problem with the simulator, Ninja and Mirus support were not able to solve the problem.

#26     Mar 9, 2009
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm taking a look at NT, my biggest hesitation though is that I don't know shit about C programing and I'm afraid it will take forever for me to figure out how to execute the 3 - 4 custom things I'm currently doing with Ensign.

#27     Mar 9, 2009
  8. I experience the same headaches but with live trading and also Ninja and Mirus have not been able to solve the problem.

Susana

#28     Mar 9, 2009
  9. It's actually C# and not so hard to learn from what I hear.
    At some point I might delve into automation, but I know that is another learning curve involved there and I don't want to spend another 2 to 3 years going through the learning curve (i.e., making all of the stupid mistakes) that it takes to acquire a good skillset with anything you attempt to do.

#29     Mar 9, 2009
  10. What action would enable you to replicate the freezeups? Rapidly scaling in/out of a position with limit orders in the static dom?

#30     Mar 9, 2009