NinjaTrader - Stay Away From It!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BillCh, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Somebody once told me, "It ain't what you use, it's how you use it!" I suppose that's pertinent to what's being discussed here as well.

I should add in passing that you should never link NT to Interactive Brokers as the data provider. The latter might be a good broker but worthless far as data feed is concerned. Go with Zenfire instead. Very reliable.

#11     Mar 7, 2009
  2. Agree 100%. It's fine if you use it within it's abilities at the moment (waiting to see what v7 looks like.)

One thing that's tough getting started is learning C# to do much of anything. It's fine if you're already a programmer, but a bear if you're not.

It wouldn't be so bad, except some very basic charting package things can't be done easily.

To get the location of a trendline drawn via code, you have to program where the TL would be on successive bars to check for a price hit. Not a big deal, (Rise/Run)*#ofBars, but you have to program it rather than access it through a pre-written function (and the AutoTrendlines sample really doesn't do it for you without diligently picking thru the code - which isn't well-commented). Again, a big hurdle for non-C#programmers. I eventually figured it out, but I could see why some would just walk away.

• nt.png
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    #12     Mar 7, 2009
  3. monti1a

monti1a

Ninjatrader is one of the best software packages I have used. Plus, if you have a futures account, the data is free.

Fuck, forking over dollars for platform fees plus data fees on eshit.

#13     Mar 7, 2009
  4. I have had good luck with it and found the support people to be great.

I use the charts and free forex feed.. I do not use the paid version as I enter my trades with another broker...

All in all... good software, and getting better each revision.

#14     Mar 7, 2009
  5. Surdo

Surdo

I have had very few issues with NinjaTrader.

el surdo

#15     Mar 7, 2009
  6. auspiv

auspiv

shit man, even if you dont have a futures account the data is free.

#16     Mar 7, 2009
  7. bathrobe

bathrobe

I absolutely second the above statement.

I became a customer in September 2008 and I cannot say enough positive things about it.

I did not like it when I first started out with the demo. I could not understand how a charting company with strategy development could be free. Needless to say, I have been converted. The automated strategies along with the rather simple coding (also the strategy wizard is awesome).

Also and obviously the support team is above and beyond and many other users create indicators that are based on tangible, real ideas, not to mention; compared to a high priced charting company like CQG (~$1000 per month).

I should also divulge that I have absolutely no experience creating trading systems, indicators for trading, or programming of any kind but I have been able to make PROFITABLE trading systems using the NT Wizard.

I use Mirus as an IB, NT to execute, and I clear through Dorman. Zen-Fire from Mirus is everybit as fast if not faster than it is being touted.

#17     Mar 7, 2009

8. I should also divulge that I have absolutely no experience flying a plane but I have been able to fly around the world using the flight manual and I will land it when I figure out how...hopefully it won't run out of fuel before that...

#18     Mar 8, 2009
  9. Manni

Manni

free forex feed?? from where

thanks

#19     Mar 8, 2009
  10. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

#20     Mar 9, 2009