NinjaTrader on Windows 7 / 64bit OS

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by RedEyeFly, Sep 7, 2010.

1. HighSea

HighSea

I'm running NT7 on Windows 7 inside Parallels 6, on the quad core i7 iMac. It utilizes all the cores fully when backtesting.

#51     Sep 19, 2010
  2. Excellent, thank you.

#52     Sep 19, 2010
  3. How's it working??

NinjaTrader on Windows 7 /64bit OS

I'm about ready to retire my XP 32 bit box :( and NinjaTrader is the last of my four trading applications to go 64 bit. NT was always the memory hog of my 32 bit layout and some math heavy indicators in my charting program have been taxing the cpu during the wild times. I'm planning to go with Windows 7 Pro/64 and wanted feedback from others (if any) who left 32 for 64.

#53     Dec 30, 2010
  4. Many data feed connectors are not working on NT64bit, or are not working stable and are still in beta (zenfire)

So it's too soon.

#54     Dec 30, 2010
  5. You are probably better served under the NT forum directly. However try with a Win7 x64 virtual machine and install NT7. Btw Zenfire 64 bit feed is not ready for prime time; you will be forced to use the 32 bit version for better reliability.

#55     Dec 30, 2010
  6. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

It works great. There are some of our connectivity providers who currently do not support 64-bit however, you can run NT in 32-bit mode in a 64-bit environment.

Here is a link to currently supported 64-bit providers - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=22484&highlight=64-bit+supported+providers

PS - NT7 is incredibly more efficient in memory and CPU usage than NT 6.5.

#56     Dec 30, 2010
  7. Is there a big advantage running ninjatrader 7 in 64bit mode compared to 32bit ? I don't feel any difference ? Did you stress test it at ninjatrader and compare results ?

Or do you just compile a 64bit version and 'hope' or 'assume' it's faster ?

#57     Dec 30, 2010
  8. mikem2

mikem2

64 bit would allow for more than 2GB of memory per process. So I would assume you can have more charts open with ninja and it will be able to take advantage of the extra memory address space.

#58     Dec 30, 2010
  9. emg

emg

its pure simple. all trading platforms used 32 bits. as a traders, getting a 32 bits computer must have.

its like saying this. u are a grain farmer and u ask john deere 'a salesman if u can use a chevy pickup truck to haul 5000 bushels of corn.

#59     Dec 30, 2010
  10. Here's a link from the NT Support forum of connectivity providers that currently support native 64-bit execution (11-09-10). http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=22484

This list is about half of all NinjaTrader supported connectivity providers (not bad).
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/index.html?historical_data.htm

I've been using IB for years (32 bit) and I've been waiting on NT to "catch up" and go 64.

I'm wondering how many traders are actually utilizing a stable 64 bit layout (nothing running in 32 bit/mode) today.

Thanks for your input Ray, I anticipated your response.

#60     Dec 30, 2010