Ninjatrader Freezing When I Place Trades

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SoCalTrader619, May 28, 2009.

1. Well, sorry to blow some illusions of you ;)

* 32 bit can use up to 4gb emory well, if you have a non-retarded motherbord. With one of those, the limit is around 3.5gb. That is not a limit if Windows with 3.5gb - it is more how the hardware maps the PCI areas, some hardware realated issue. I havea ton of old servers around here happily using 4gb ;) They did run on 32 bit until nd of last year.

* Even if NT is 32 bit, having a 66bit OS will allow you a lot of reserves. Especially when running some more things, having RAM may speed things up. There is no signifcant advantage of using a 32 bit OS. I run everything 64 bit here, including some machines just having 512mb RAM ;)

I have decided to go AMD some significant time ago and since then I am totally on 64 bit since around octoer or so last year - retired even all 32 bit virtual machines. I will never understand the cra Intel is pulling, likenot supporting virtualization on lower end processors ;)

That said, I am moving towards Windows 7 this weekend, too - will give it a try on my new trading system that I set up beginning of next week.

That said, I possibly spend the next 2 weeks mostly programming an order entry interface for myself... which will use the zen-fire API. Which incidentally is 32 bit. Now, I know how to get out of that (which involves embedding the API into a separate program that iwll run under 32 bit - not nice, but it has some advantages, too, especially when one assumes the other program will start (more often, especially during development) and so the API connection will stay up ;)

#21     May 28, 2009
  2. auspiv

auspiv

1) simulator = live as far as i can tell.

2) i dont know about OEC, but NT is C#, not C++

#22     May 29, 2009
  3. Handle123

Handle123

I have quad core with 8 gigs of ram on three machines dedicated to Ninja and only brokerage, no email, no surfing, just trading.

I use AVG, Spybot, and ZoneAlarm and have had no problems of freezing or anything else.

Whereas computer that does email and also has ninja on it, is dual core with 2 gigs ram freezes all the time.

#23     May 29, 2009
  4. andy4

andy4

Hi,

just picked up a HP comp' back in Jan', used just for trading, know it has 4 GB of RAM, not sure what else (having it tweaked for another monitor at the Geek Squad, as you can probably tell I'm totally computer illiterate)

The timing of moving and setting up a new office gave me the chance to switch brokers and platforms.

I'm looking to go with Velocity and use TT for feed with Ninja, is my computer going to be ok with Ninja (you guys are worrying me:) ? Or should I just pay up a little and go with X trader with X study ? I scalp YM, very basic charts.

Thanks for any help, can find out more on the comp' I have when I get it back later today if needed.

Thanks,
    Andy

#24     May 29, 2009
  5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Andy,

I am also a scalper and can tell you that unless you are recording incoming ticks for replay or running strategy backtesting, you should be fine. It also helps to set your entry charts (smaller timeframes) to a very low lookback period, say 3 to 5 days, and leave the longer lookback periods to your "anchor" charts. My setup reflects this and Ninja uses very little resources when operating in this type of disretionary trade manner.

#25     May 29, 2009
  6. last year i was running an nt/zf demo on w2k sp4, 500celeron, 300+ ram, worked ok
    NOT recommended, but what gave me a slight fearofgod feeling about globex trading
    was the zf feed - or globex going down, zf did have a problem [- it was globex's fault ?]
    that was solved but es trading is sort of like having a sword of damocles overhead
    because one's fooked if the feed - globex or broker goes down - it's electronic so no
    manual/telephone orders can be placed, one can only offset in the cash mkt @ $2.5K per

meanwhile: people should be using a router not antiv sw

"Process Lasso also offers an assortment of ways to take full control of how your
    CPUs are allocated to running programs." http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php

"The long answer takes some explanation… Here’s the official answer from Microsoft:
    32-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise,
    and Ultimate: 4GB
    32-bit Windows Vista Starter: 1GB
    64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic: 8GB
    64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Premium: 16GB
    64-bit versions of Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 128GB
    So I search around to find some real-world experiences for people with 4GB installed: "
    http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/

#26     May 29, 2009
  7. Is anyone else having problems connecting to Zen-fire right now?

#27     May 29, 2009
  8. Something is wrong???

My times & sales stopped @ 3:15 for some reason.

#28     May 29, 2009
  9. VinnyB

VinnyB

This seems like a perfect spot to ask:

Mirus...Amp?

Also, Zen...TT?

Any feedback?

Thanks all,

V.

#29     May 29, 2009