Ninja vs. TWS for backtesting???

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by anituchka, May 5, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I use Ninja for my charting and IB (TWS) for execution. I have some knowledge in C/C++.

Which of these 2 platforms is easier for back testing my strategies? I already know Ninja but am not familiar with TWS that much.

I am also interested to know in which platform is more reliable and freezes less?

any help is appreciated :)

2. TWS is an execution platform only and doesn't have any of its backtesting capabilities that I am aware of.

As for reliability, I haven't noticed either one freezing or behaving improperly. I am running NT7, but I typically lag a few versions behind the most recent TWS desktop and API releases just to allow all the kinks to get worked out. TWS also has their Gateway (slimmed down TWS with no charting), but I can't comment on the reliability as I haven't done much more than log on to see what it looked like.

3. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

As you probably already know, NinjaTrader complements IB TWS by connecting to it to provide capabilities that TWS does not support. Strategy development and backtesting are some of these features.

You can learn more about our backtesting capabilities in the following section of our Help Guide.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/strategy_analyzer.htm