Ninja Trader with OpenTick -- Slow?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ET873, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ET873

ET873

I have been using NinjaTrader with OpenTick for displaying the CME:ES charts. I notice that it can take a very long time whenever it has to download new data. For example, when I first open it up and select the 5 minute chart for the past month, it can take as long as 10 minutes to fetch the chart. I am not using the registered version of NinjaTrader...is this lag intentional trial limitation until I pay for the software? Also, is there a way to have it save the historical data so that it only has to be downloaded once?

Oh, and I should remark that I have been checking my internet bandwidth and it's not actually downloading the entire time. Not sure when it starts up, but the connection is using no bandwidth for at least the first minute after I request the data.

2. Harald

Harald

OpenTick is slow during normal hours, for a faster download connect during week-ends. To my experience you can download ES, NQ, YM, currency futures and agricultural futures for free.

The free version of NT will automatically save data, so you only need to download the data once.

3. ET873

ET873

Thanks for the reply...do you know what symbol "ES-08" is listed under (it's setup by default in NinjaTrader). I looked at the properties and it looks like it is on the Globex exchange. However, I don't actually have Globex supported through OpenTick (not paying for that exchange). Do you know the exchange and symbol that NinjaTrader is using to pull the data for free through OpenTick?

4. Harald

Harald

Open instrument manager and search for ES. The instrument is ES 12-08 and it is preconfigured by NinjaTrader for OpenTick. Edit the instrument, verify that the exchange is set to GLOBEX and make sure that the symbol for OpenTick is set to ES|EM.