Ninja Trader vs Multicharts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by saatfj, Sep 24, 2008.

1. saatfj

saatfj

I am testing Ninja Trader with their free trial... so far I'm very impressed. I have used Tradestation but not very much fond of their monhly fees specially for Radar screen. So I was considering Multicharts by TSSupport.
    Is there something Ninja Trader can do that Multicharts can not do?

2. The only drawback I found with NinjaTrader is having to learn C# to program anything custom in it.

Multicharts uses TradeStation's Easylanguage, which is easier to deal with (for me). Also, there is already a lot of stuff written from years of other people using TradeStation, so you often don't have to start from scratch.

Ninja is faster and more efficient I think - but if my objective is seeing what I want to see for trading, learning another program language is just a hindrance, unless I do it in my spare time for shits and giggles.

There are things that other people have posted built for Ninja in their forum, but not a lot comparatively to TS/MC - and if you want something unique, as usual, you'll have to pay for it.

Also - I have to check Ninja's latest version, but the last ver I looked at couldn't plot multiple symbols on a single chart - if that matters to you.

3. Tums

Tums

If you are good with C#, you can get Ninja to sing opera and make coffee for you at the same time.

If you do not have a background in programming... stick with MultiCharts. You can do a lot more with the English-like Pascal-rooted EasyLanguage.

4. Neoxx

Neoxx

If only I could get my girlfriend to do that. :p

5. Kovacs

Kovacs

No hotkeys.

6. It all depends on what you are looking to do. If you wanted to learn C sharp or pay someone then there is a ton that Ninja can do that Multicharts can not but that may be a non feature if you have no use for it.
    From what I've read on the forums the next version of Ninja will have multiple series plots on a single chart and historic bid/ask data.
    If your mostly looking to replace radar screen I'm not quite sure Ninja's market scanner is to that level yet.

7. cosmic

cosmic

Hi,

I use Ninja in combo with Zenfire everyday and i am fully happy with this stable choice. Sure with Zenfire's feed one needs some strong computer behind it, but this should not matter.

Also an important point to consider: the different pricings...Ninja is free until you choose to go live, which gives you plenty of time to develop & finetune your strategies...

Good trades,

cosmic

8. Anyone know when the next release of Ninja will be out ?
    I tried to get a response some time ago from them, and they were a bit evasive.
    I have a funny feeling there are going to be some major changes to it...much like Tradestation going from TS4 to TS2000i. Yeah, your custom code would work for the most part, but it really needed to be rewritten to take advantage of the new features.

9. jordanf

jordanf

It's hard to even compare the two.

Ninja has charting, back testing, trade automation, T&S, DOM, market depth, order entry, portfolio management, chart trading, a market scanner, news..

Multcharts has ... charting, back testing and trade automation (IB only though).

10. Aok

Aok

Sys,

Before Xmas. But not set in stone.

#10     Oct 10, 2008