Ninja Trader - opinions, experiences, alternatives

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by saxon22, Nov 1, 2006.

1. i think a DOM is a DOM

click on the any bid @ or below highest bid, limit order to buy

click on the ask @ OR above highest ask, limit order to sell

right click on bid.. stop order

etc.

it's not rocket science

i want to be able to see the market, be able to place my orders quickly and intuitively, move them and cancel them as needed

ZLT, Ninja, etc. don't do anything that booktrader doesn't do

they just automate some stuff that, with a little bit of effort, you can program into booktrader

i mean, hey , if it increases yer trading confidence, and most importantly AUTOMATEs your stops, and you like that - more power to you.

i just refuse to pay a recurring monthyl fee for a frigging DOM

#11     Nov 2, 2006
  2. You don't need XP to run X_TRADER. Perhaps for their demostration of XT but not the actual software. Have you tried to download and install it?

I have the demo package on one of home PC's and it works great. I use it to test trading strategies, create austospreader scenarios and create API to use with my real time trading.

http://www.tradingtechnologies.com/xtrader-demo.aspx

#12     Nov 3, 2006

3. I downloaded a demo version a while ago,
    and I was not impressed by it then. 10 min. ago I looked at the flash demo presentation and I was still not impressed. DOM feels and looks like a bad video game from 1980s. The sounds are horrible and remind me of my Atari 2600. Come on, a cash register sound everytime you get filled ??????? Immature and just cheap. I got a headache after just 10 minutes of those sounds, I cannot imagine sitting in front of it for 6 hours every day. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

#13     Nov 3, 2006

4. I am sure DOM from IB is not that different from DOM provided by NT. The mechanics are similar so consequently the product must also be similar. However, in order to try IB I have to open an account with them and deposit $2000 to use their software. It seems like a lot of hassle just to be able to sample their product. NT is free to play with and I like that.

#14     Nov 3, 2006
  5. oh, i totally agree.

i am saying that - GIVEN that i am a IB customer - i have yet to see a compelling third party product that improves on their booktrader such that i would buy it

#15     Nov 3, 2006
  6. i agree with whitsler..........using the IB interface directly gives as quick or quicker execution speed than using any third party add.....on

#16     Nov 3, 2006

7. Your point is duly noted. IB provides a very decent and affordable service in many aspects of trading. If in the future I decide to use their services I would undoubtedly use their trading platform to scalp. However, if money was no issue I would sway toward NT.

#17     Nov 3, 2006

8. Probably, but the difference in speed would not be that significant. From my limited experience, NT simply feels like a better software, smoother and more user friendly. The only aspect of it that I dislike is ... the fee. :( :(

#18     Nov 3, 2006
  9. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

I use NinjaTrader....with the Zen Fire data feed. I have been using J-Trader from Patsystems for years....but NT is better at managing trades.

The main reason I started using NT....is for the ACV (accumulated volume). J-Trader has something similar....and that is where I learned how to use the ACV. I am sure some other platforms have the same thing. If the ACV....is not important to you....then there are other programs that should work just fine.

I do like the Zen Fire....better than the Patsystems data feed....in my opinion. I still use J-Trader some....because I am use to it....but will eventually stop using it.

Since I am mainly a Scalper....speed is very important....and so far....the NT_ZF combination works great.

VSTscalper

#19     Nov 3, 2006
  10. I have used Buttontrader for years. It works consistently and is very flexible. The customer service has been great. Cost is reasonable.

What else do you need?

Steve

#20     Nov 3, 2006