Ninja for automation on ES

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by LVtrader35, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Are you happy with Ninja abilities for automation? If so, can you share with me pro and cons? Like and dislikes?

Thanks -

2. wenzi

wenzi

One pro is that you can watch Ninja Trader graphically, so it is easier to see if you messed up the coding of your system.

3. rickty

rickty

I think NT is a nice bit of software (in general) but certainly not without its failings, even major ones. For example, in terms of automation (which you were asking about) take the case of using 10 minute bars; let's say you got into a trade and would like to reverse it up to a time of say, 2:00PM. This is easily done. But now say that at after 2:00 PM you only want to exit on a stop; this is where the problem occurs. Because of limitations that NT impose, the following is what needs to happen: first the reversal trade needs to be cancelled at 2:00 then 10 minutes later, you need to submit your new stop order (to exit on a stop). Effectively, you have no stop control in the intervening 10 minutes.

This problem is particularly frustrating to me as much older technology such as Wealth Lab, is easily capable of handling this.

I've tried to work a solution in NT to the problem buy using their lower level functions, but I've had no success so far. (If anyone has a solution please let me know. Bear in mind the solution I'm looking for is one where only the 10 minute primary bars are used. )

Richard

4. auspiv

auspiv

5. wenzi

wenzi

Orders cancel at the end of each bar, just submit new orders on the bar that closes @ 2pm and it will work.

Or ,if you use the strategy wizard, have a different set of conditions for before and after 2pm trades.

6. rickty

rickty

wenzi,

" ... it will work."

Yes, you would think so, but the following code generates an error message (and NT developers think it's reasonable).
    Code:
    if (  (ToTime(Time[0]) <= Time_RevEnd)  )		
    {					
    EnterShortStop(sp, "LRev");			
    }
    else					
    ExitLongStop(sp);

7. wenzi

wenzi

rickty,
    Well, I am not going to write the code for you. It will work. If you cannot write the code, maybe you should contact one of their consultants to see if they can help you.

8. rickty

rickty

wenzi,

Thanks for your help. My criticism of NT still stands.

9. wenzi

wenzi

:p