Ninja charts inadequacy

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Hombre, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I can't believe anyone would call NT horrific! It is a wonderful free program, that is much more powerful than any pay ones I have used. It is counterintuitive at first, but if you take the time to learn it can do nearly anything. Quit being babies and learn to use it!

#31     Oct 25, 2008
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

Totally agree. Ninja does so much that it shames all these expensive (well relatively speaking of course since most trading software is pretty cheap thee days ) software.

#32     Oct 25, 2008
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

What I am doing to say is only applicable to day trading.

A lot of people when trading look at charts with several, sometimes many indicators and try to find this setting that can help them to make $.

But looking at charts and indicators is just one part of the game. In order to truly analyze what is happening in the NOW moment one needs to look at Market Depth and Time and Sales to time their entries more accurately.

As of Ninja 6.5, it allows you to get access to this information via 2 methods:

OnMarketData - Time & Sales.
    OnMarketDepth - Depth of Market.

#33     Oct 25, 2008
  4. You have to right click the icon in the taskbar and then select the action you want.

Life just must suck so hard for so many people trying to use Windows. My heart goes out to you all, there shall be a Democrat program to bail you out if I'm Fractals 'R Us....

#34     Oct 25, 2008
  5. correct
    and depending on which other application has focus as the active window - the 'restore' option on NT is grayed out

there is a weird sort of logic to it --- but it is the only windows app I have seen that cannot regain focus 100% of the time

not a big deal - but like I said -- goofy

#35     Oct 25, 2008
  6. There are those of us who actually pay for it and use it to trade and I'm one of them and I regret it as hell.

This is a low budget program that is still in it's infancy and the people are hoping to boot strap it,

Even for free, consider the time spent on the learning curve as your cost.

Best to go with the broker's API directly, be it IB or MFG etc.

In a powe shortage today I had to rebuild the data base which took like 10 minutes but worst was that it took me 40 minutes after several boots to learn on my own what needed to be done!!!!
    The damn thing never gave a message or anything just wouldn't connect to the broker although was connecting to the feed......

What a shame, the concept of the C# was very nice and pleasing although again their Un-American attitude restricts you from using C# to it's fullest. They don't let the user do anything outside of their process!

#36     Oct 30, 2008
  7. How about investing in a UPS?

#37     Oct 30, 2008
  8. Not possible when traveling Internationally. Too much weight.
    Regardless, the platform should protect the user by at least recognizing the problem and generating a message recommending what needed to be done.
    That was just one of the many problems....just try closing a chart while it's still opening and the whole program will shut down on you! Does the UPS protect you from that too?
    Well yes I know, it does give a message to not abort but then why NOT? when the chart takes for ever to load and while loading freezes the whole platform...

#38     Oct 30, 2008
  9. Any other option that will allow code to be transferred if written to this ATS platform?

Been a user a long time but have the same memory issues and problems when making any changes during market hours.

It fine if you let it run your stuff and do not fiddle but any tweaks when the application memory is above 900 to 1MG and its toast.

Anything better out there?

#39     Oct 30, 2008
  10. I agree with you on this one.

It's a resource hog and I'm going to have to up the Gig's to stay fast and ready.

The problem I believe is that it is trying to be all things to all people, and that always is a garuantee of mediorcity.

#40     Oct 30, 2008