Ninja charts inadequacy

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Hombre, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Alt + Tab, or right click the Icon in the toolbar and choose [with your mouse]

I can't believe how difficult life must be for some computer users...

#21     Oct 24, 2008
  2. CharlieThomas, you are a smart man .
    Thank you for solving my problem .
    I owe you a brewski .

#22     Oct 25, 2008
  3. Hombre,

Just to take it a step further, if you wanted to have pitchforks and trendlines in a template, meaning if you wanted any new chart you setup to already have pitchforks and trendlines applied to that new chart, you could write pitchfork and trendline indictors in ninjascript. Those indicators could be saved in a template.

I'll leave the writing of that ninjascript as a exercise for the reader :) .

#23     Oct 25, 2008
  4. Ninja charts are HORRIFIC !!!!!!!! it is about time someone not as lazy as myself took the time and energy to expose the truth

#24     Oct 25, 2008
  5. P.s..........Yes , I am no techno wiz, but I thought we are traders and our tools should support us without needing to re-invent the wheel....

#25     Oct 25, 2008
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

I have been using Ninja since their 5.0 version. During those just as order entry only.

Once 6.5 was released, it pretty much become very powerful trading and charting platform. You do need to do some work to figure out all options, and their support forum is excellent. You get reply with few hours or you can e-mail them.

I am not sure if many knows, but with OnMarketData and OnMarketDepth events you can assess Time&Sales and Depth of Market programatically, and now the sky becomes the limit.

Regards,
    redduke

#26     Oct 25, 2008
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

What is so horrific about them? I use them and pretty happy.

#27     Oct 25, 2008

8. Can you elaborate ?

#28     Oct 25, 2008
  9. one of the goofier things Ive seen in NT is window control
    you cannot bring the chart back to the foreground using the option off the XP taskbar

that sounds like a c-programmer that doesn't understand the windows API's to me

#29     Oct 25, 2008
  10. Not to start a langauge war, but ninjatrader is written in c# and vb.net - microsoft's dot net framework languages. Since the windows api (win32) is written in c and is natively accessed via c function calls, I think a c programmer would probably understand the windows api better than a dot net programmer.

Alot of the problems that I encounter with ninjatrader, including basic window (chart) management as mgabriel01 states, are the result of ray's early design decision to go with dot net, in my opinion.

The dot net framework is a double edged sword. Some things are better (easy high level programming) and some things are worse (executable efficiency - cpu and ram). Another example of worse: The latest version of microsoft's dot net framework is version 3.5 SP1. This version "breaks" the latest version of ninjatrader! If you install one of the free versions of microsoft's visual studio 2008 it will automatically install dot net framework 3.5 SP1 which will break ninjatrader. Ugh!

#30     Oct 25, 2008