Ninja and IB for autotrading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Runningbear, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Does anyone here use Ninjatrader with IB for autotrading?

If so, can someone tell me how ninja deals with auto log off.

Also, I'd be interested hear any experiences and or problems you ran into a long the way using this combo.

thanks in advance,

Runningbear

2. Loki45

Loki45

I looked into that, and IB told me there is no way around the auto shut-off. I could have lived with that, if there were an auto log-on to re-connect you. But at the time I checked there wasn't. So, I concluded that IB is not for automated trading if you want to hold and trade positions overnight.

3. http://www.ninjatrader.com/ConnectionGuides/Interactive-Brokers-Connection-Guide.php

NT ONLY supports 906 version (standalone) yesterday to my dismay IB stopped supporting 906.8 and subsequenlty logged me
    off from TWS. Luckily someone in the user forum provided a quick fix. As for NT support they seem to pride themselves as using the most stable TWS version, which in this case no longer works.
    Now they point the finger @ IB for not providing outdated TWS, they actually are using there customer base to bother IB for answers. I spoke with IB and their reason for this upgrade from 906.8 was due to security issues.

As far as autotrading, it works fine but expect issues from time to time. You probably will not experience anymore problems then other commercial platforms. To keep TWS up and running through
    12am reset, use this

http://twsstart.free.fr/

I have been using this combo 24/5 for a year now and am pleased with the results.

4. JamesL

JamesL

Does either auto-login work effectively with the IB Gateway?

5. I know that IBController works with the gateway with some slight modification to the startup .bat file. I don't think the gateway has auto-logff though so the only thing you get with using IBController when you use the gateway is auto login. Don't quote me on that because I don't use gateway at all so this is just what I've read from other sources.