Nikkei 225

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Mr. Bollinger, Sep 21, 2003.

1. TD80

TD80

Yup you have 2 hrs and 45 mins on the HSI to put something together, otherwise you are sitting through lunch and a possible gap. This market is like the wild west, a real ride, but I'm just going to watch for awhile and not touch the hot burner. To give you an idea the HSI contract is 6.xx US dollars per point, and it moved well over 100 points in a real hurry.... think of the possibilities of trading 10 contracts at a time daily on this bad boy, it's pure insanity! If you're working the HSI for 5-6k a day, and the ES for 5-6k a day, then the rest of the time you can just work some long term swingers or positions and you'll be sitting in the hamptons in a few years.

In contrast to my caution on the HSI and other asian markets, I traded europe twice right out of the gate on expiration day and have been teaching those euroboys some old lessons :). My gut suggestion is to watch these asian markets before sticking your toes in the water unlike the european markets which seem to trade in slow motion.....

Goodluck,

#11     Sep 22, 2003
  2. HSI can be pretty crazy sometimes..

Just a few days ago, It sat there doing nothing for the morining and the early afternoon, then all out of a sudden, it crash 150 minutes 30 minutes b4 the close and then miraclously, recover
    all that losses in the final 10 minutes and makes a new high....

I was short 60 contract when it came down, I was overjoyed with the money I am making and 5 minutes later, I watched in despair as I was LOSING the amount I was winning earlier ...

Some crazy shit happening in the HSI , u can lose a lot money if u don't know what u doing..

#12     Sep 22, 2003
  3. 60 contracts? nice. What is the avg. daily range in the nikkei right now? $89/tick is tempting.

#13     Sep 22, 2003
  4. What is the best charting/data solution for HK, Singapore and Osaka? In the past this has been a real stumbling block.

#14     Sep 24, 2003
  5. ive been using esignal's new hk feed without any problems.. when things speed up it lags a little though..

-qwik

#15     Sep 24, 2003
  6. TD80

TD80

After further study I personally have decided I will not be trading in asian markets. I find the mid-day break to be very difficult to work around for a short-term daytrading strategy. One of the principles of my short term game is being able to get out quickly, and this break prevents this from being possible. Combine that with the possibility of a 50 point gap in a market like the HSI, and you are really asking for it in my opinion. I would say position traders and other multi-day strategies could work better, but the volatility means alot of tied-up capital reserves are needed to manage risk responsibly. I am going to stick with europe and usa, and just keep an eye from afar on the asian markets.

Goodluck,

#16     Sep 24, 2003
  7. Would have expected the Nikkei to tank more on oil prices given they are notoriously dependent on oil imports. If I'm not mistaken Japan even recently closed all their nuclear power plants for persistent safetly violations, rendering the nation even more oil dependent. I'm a bit surprised Nikkei didn't tank more in the a.m. session. Covering some shorts, remain short the calls ...

#17     Sep 25, 2003
  8. NK futures at SGX coming soon !

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/discus/messages/216/20619.html?1097316974

#18     Oct 9, 2004
  9. Date: September 2004
    http://info.sgx.com/webnewscentre.nsf/

#19     Oct 9, 2004
  10. dbs119

dbs119

To all of you trading the nikkei..What are the US hours that the Singapore Contract is open?

#20     Oct 9, 2004