Nightline controversy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 30, 2004.

1. lol - good point. ironic, a guy who 'fought' to censor political speech he doesn't like, now 'outraged' over censorship of political speech he agrees with.

#11     Apr 30, 2004
  2. Well I know that CC's execs are close with GW.... I don't know about Sinclair but it wouldn't be that far fetched I suppose

#12     Apr 30, 2004
  3. I am a little conflicted too, but would it interest you to know that they are doing it during "Sweeps" week? Memorial Day would have been at least plausible, but that's not in Sweeps week.

#13     Apr 30, 2004
  4. oh for god sakes post the freakin names and quit jerking us all off we're adults let us judge the truth !! :-/

#14     Apr 30, 2004
  5. "That’s ridiculous,” Beth Whitener told the Asheville Citizen-Times. Whitener’s husband, 19-year-old Army Pfc. Joey Whitener was killed Nov. 15 when two Black Hawk helicopters crashed in Mosul, Iraq.

“I think it’ s more than appropriate to show those faces because they were over there fighting for our freedom. I think they have a right to be honored and shown on TV.”

Brenda Franklin, whose husband, Army Staff Sgt. Bobby Franklin, 38, was killed in August in an explosion in Baghdad, said the public needs to see the faces of the soldiers who have died in Iraq.

“We have paid a lot,” she told the newspaper. “My family has paid a lot. I think everybody needs to see the faces.”

enough said :(

Broadcasting chain bans televising of Nightline’s tribute to troops killed in Iraq
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2873264.php

I guess Kill Bill & Friday the 13th series are ok to view... what a crock:eek: :eek:

#15     Apr 30, 2004
  6. you notice everythings a fuckin problem?? an issue?? knock off the spin post the facts! period!

#16     Apr 30, 2004
  7. Honestly tho..., if it was your brother, or wife or child, killed at war serving our country, wouldn't you want the nation to at least put a face with the name. Aren't we Americans proud of our bravest?

What gives?:confused: :confused:

#17     Apr 30, 2004
  8. You replied to yourself?....

#18     Apr 30, 2004
  9. Well, I said I was conflicted about it. For me, I question ABC's motives. It seems exploitive as well, but I do realize that for many people in this country, there is no greater honor than having your image on TV, even if it's the Jerry Springer Show.

Clearly there are political ramifications that I am quite sure ABC and Koppel appreciate. This is afterall the network that ran its news division as kind of a wholly owned subsidiary of the White House during the Clinton years. But you know what? In a way I think Bush fully deserves any political hit he takes over this. The occupation has been idiotic, and the public has every right to be mad as hell at Bush for sacrificing 700 of our best for basically nothing. People will accept deaths in protection of our country, but not in the name of "nation building."

#19     Apr 30, 2004
  10. Agreed....:) There is politics involved on both sides. I'm not sure if Bush will take a hit because of this. 736 of our bravest did die so far, but it was not for nothing.... This was has been a windfall for select few in high places....sad :(

Iraqis never invited us to "liberate and democratize them" Mr Chalabi, Prez Bush and the cartel behind pushed for this war. I've posted about Chalabhi and his 340k a month courtesy of US taxpayer before... but I digress...

The faces should be shown, regardless the channel. It's a free country isn't it? TV is full of killings and mutilations.
    But we have "difficulty" showing our bravest after fighting down there???:confused: :confused:

#20     May 1, 2004