Night and Day

Discussion in 'Forex' started by wwatson1, Sep 15, 2018.

1. I like to trade grid and mean reversion strategies, lately I’ve been working on completely separate settings for different trading sessions. For example, a tight grid with small take profit works well during the off peak periods through the night but gets blown to bits during Europe and USA sessions, so I use a wide grid for the main sessions. Anyone else use different settings or methods for different times?

2. Also use envelopes for mean reversion, they don’t even get hit during off peak hours! so work best with day time volatility

3. Handle123

Handle123

I have three automated systems that trade only non day sessions, day sessions often display too much information than other times. Have another that only trades just before reports and entries have to stop so many minutes after. I don't have just one way to trade or class of symbols or combination or timeframe. It been more of interest of doing an area and then making it work through much testing. I will keep at it even though others say it can't be done, might put it on back burner for a few months of gathering ideas, but I always work at it again.

But I literally have stacks of areas I want to explore more like order flow have developed a handful of repetitive patterns but know it just small amount to be learned.

I do good amount of reversion to the mean after defining trend and each system that requires trend have different definition of trend. Most entries are never on momentum, they are entering on down close bar in uptrend, for me the longer I stay doing this, anywhere you get in has a 50/50 chance, but where I can alter percentages is risk management.

I like the challenge a great deal more than money, which for me is the only way to accumulate money. I think those who only go for the money and two for the show, three to get ready cause they often blowup go go go.

Besides ES scalping/runners, do much of Bund over night, trends nicely and cheap entries.

Unlike Science and Math where 2+2=4, best to be very open minded in trading.

SteveH, beginner66 and wwatson1 like this.
  4. Yea, I got into automated trading a couple of years back and I was like, great! I’ve got even more shit to learn now! Thanks for your post, very interesting reply.

5. Forex has been the most difficult market for me to figure out -- there are just some crazy movements that always took me out of trades. For years, I couldn't make any money at all in Forex. It seemed like nearly all of my trades were losers, and my winners were small. However, I seem to have stumbled upon a basic set-up that works well during a certain time of the day and so it's all I trade for Forex. More than any other market, I believe Forex requires a certain type of discipline and consistent approach to achieve success. So, to your point, I just use this one set-up during a certain time frame and try to keep it simple.

6. Handle,

It been more of interest of doing an area and then making it work through much testing. I will keep at it even though others say it can't be done, might put it on back burner for a few months of gathering ideas, but I always work at it again.

I forward-test EA's with what seems like infinite combinations (expert advisors) in Forex for a decade now for this very reason above.

ES

7. I find averaging and grids best, but getting the right settings is a f@#king nightmare.

8. yeah!...for sure...I swear if you had enough money and balls you would martingale out to the end....then die

wwatson1 likes this.