Niederhoffer's year end contest! ($2500 prize for 3 best 2011 trading ideas)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1prometheus, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Bob111

Bob111

i have no idea who this guy is. never read any of his books, but did read his story after this thread..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Niederhoffer

have no idea,what this buzz around him is all about.

honestly-it's looks more like gambling to me. wall street style. fund making the money-he pocket management fees and performance fees. then-fund blows up-no problem for him,since he already pocket the money. wait for couple years-then start all over again..write and sell some books somewhere in between,to fool more people...rinse and repeat.

#51     Dec 31, 2010
  2. It might be that when the current year's positions underperformed, it is easier to want to start fresh in the next year with a clean slate.

When the current positions have worked well, however, one just wants to let it ride rather than let the tax man take his cut prematurely.

Perhaps it will be folly and as Niederhoffer suggests the cycles change, but I am hard pressed to want to make any radical changes in the coming year. My ideas will largely consist of my current outlook/portfolio.

#52     Dec 31, 2010
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yeah, it's as simple as that, but with a condescending financial poet alter-ego on ET...That's the bad part.

However, his little contest is fun at least, so we shouldn't interfere.

#53     Dec 31, 2010
  4. Slapshott

Slapshott

It's clearly not Victor. Although it may be his wife or children jerking your chain. Relax and have some fun.

#54     Dec 31, 2010
  5. Folks, with the new year approaching, we have much to think about in terms of planning and getting focused so that -God willing- we can make 2011 our best year ever.

The contest is a wonderful opportunity to do some macro-brainstorming or fundamental stock picking for the coming year and to share what you have with like minded individuals. "Your best money making ideas". What do you have to offer??

#55     Dec 31, 2010
  6. Slapshott

Slapshott

What? Vic has made tremendously more over the years for his investors than he lost. Hedge funds are risky, but I guess you haven't a clue what that means. Only sophisticated investors can participate so go back to your mutual funds and reading the rich dad book. You will never understand.

#56     Dec 31, 2010
  7. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yes, Surf, yes. He made money for sure. LOL. Happy new year by the way. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

#57     Dec 31, 2010
  8. Slapshott

Slapshott

I think Baron should run the same kind of contest. Perhaps on a monthly basis?

Happy New Year! ;)

#58     Dec 31, 2010
  9. Bob111

Bob111

i think we do understand just fine. one more time,in case you didn't saw my post on previous page-

75% decline in one year mean risky,directional bets on huge margin=blow up. typical choice for FX noobs,trying to make a dough out of 1000$ deposit on margin x100-200.dunno how VN ended up in same shit at least TWICE. of course somewhere in between he did make money for someone,who was lucky enough to be in and out before this 75% drop. to me-real pro mean steady ,positive returns greater than market,year over year,regardless to market direction. example:SP500-20%,your fund -10%-doesn't count as a great return.

#59     Dec 31, 2010
  10. cstfx

cstfx

Like I said, pathetic.

#60     Dec 31, 2010