Niederhoffer thinks "follow the trend" sucks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GloriaBrown, Jun 18, 2015.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Or one can trade OPM at no risk to himself, which puts one in the position of offering trading advice that is wildly out of synch with the needs and capacities of the small retail trader.

But it does make for entertaining reading.

How's that YM? Booyah!

#31     Jun 18, 2015
  2. Why would i report this? I apprieciate the opinion. I work and associate with folks who are far brighter, bettter educated and connected than i will ever be. Im not ashamed of this. Its how i keep learning. Im just a hick from pittsburgh striving to make a name in the most difficult business on earth. I am very grateful to VNhis team snd everyone else who gave me a foothold.

I overreacted in poor taste to several who truly helped me also-- i feel bad but it is what it is--

surf

#32     Jun 18, 2015
    i960 likes this.
  3. True, there is that "small" matter of moral hazard as it relates to trading OPM...

#33     Jun 18, 2015
  4. qxr1011

qxr1011

i think we all r addicts

i do not consider vic a great trader, but we have to keep in mind that any method and any person is fallible

just like the planes that did many many flights with pilots in them that also did many flights some times fall... something wrong is discovered afterwards ether with the plane design or maintenance or it was pilot's error

both the method and the trader are in constant state of change ...

#34     Jun 18, 2015
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

well that's the beauty :) of OPM : it gives people who use them nine lives in the market

#35     Jun 18, 2015
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I don't think that "moral hazard" is a real issue in this case :)

The moral hazard lies in pretending to know what you don't know and tap dancing like crazy in the hopes that people won't notice.;)

#36     Jun 18, 2015
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

To me it's just a way to make a living. The trading itself has long since ceased to be exciting.

#37     Jun 18, 2015
  8. clacy

clacy

Wait, so because he likes to play tennis in his spare time, and he likes to win, he's an American hero?

I mean, I know a lot of successful entrepreneurs,and certainly they add value to our economy, but calling a guy who likes to play tennis and can raise money an American hero is an insult to true American heroes.

#38     Jun 18, 2015
    dbphoenix likes this.
  9. Then you're very fortunate. But I would suggest before you try to employ what you learn from them that you truly make it your own. What you use to initiate and manage your real trades needs to be understood as a first language, so to speak, and not as a distant second. Otherwise, you are prone to find yourself in a breakdown of...communication.

#39     Jun 18, 2015
    dbphoenix likes this.
  10. You are a real salesman (or lawyer). You have a beautiful and positive explanation for what happened to Vic Niederhoffer.
    If it would be my story instead of Vic Niederhoffer's story, your explanation would be completely (negatively) different, although based on the same objective facts. I would probably be an idiot, a dropout,a faker or a dreamer. Certainly not a hero. But I can understand that because I don't play tennis.

Why is he a hero? Because he teached people? Then all teachers are heroes.
    Because he wiped out 2 times? Then all daytraders are heroes.
    Because he is competitive? There are millions of competitive people.

#40     Jun 18, 2015