Niederhoffer still on top !

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by marketsurfer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Surf,

I know you have been spending time with the man and to be completely honest I know very little about him.

Please give me the short version of his story and style.

Much appreciated.

:)

#11     Mar 14, 2006

2. hey samson,

read "educational of a speculator" for a nice synopsis of dr. niederhoffer's ideas and style.

what i find most intriguing are the numerous top traders/money managers who have arisen from his tutelage. monroe trout and tony crabel are just two of these trading stars.

here's a brief bio:

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/about_us1.html

here is a transcript of a recent chat i had with him, this will provide you with a bit of insight into his trading philosophy.

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/vic/goodboy_interview.html

surfer:)

#12     Mar 14, 2006
  3. Surf,

Do you have a list of the other CTA's listed in the top 10?

Thanks,

Runningbear

#13     Mar 15, 2006
  4. i like neiderhoffer. i;m a contrarian. it's part of the deal

however, neiderhoffer (imo) failed like so many others failed.

he thought his "understanding" of the markets was enough. it's not. never has been. never will.

he broke the #1 rule of trading, which is to CONTROL risk. trading is first and foremost about risk management. everything else is secondary.

i loved education of a speculator. i may disagree with some of his points, but in general i think he is a great thinker.

the rule of ever changing cycles is always on my mind when trading.

#14     Mar 15, 2006
  5. mhashe

mhashe

He lost it all because of "Traders Dementia". It's a term I coined that defines the irrationality traders are inflicted with during a life threatening draw-down. In the middle of a huge loss, the fight/flight response kicks in and traders throw caution and their trading plans out the window. What I can tell by reading available public domain info is that he lost his mind after the loss in Asia and bet the farm in writing naked calls/puts trying to make the loss back. Although he comes across as having a large ego as do most geniuses, I do enjoy the guys anti-establishment irreverent wit.

#15     Mar 15, 2006
  6. Is that a hybrid of "deer caught in the headlights" followed by "double down?"

#16     Mar 15, 2006
  7. gbos

gbos

56% yearly return (from selling options possibly?) carries a substancial risk of ruin IMHO.

#17     Mar 15, 2006
    #18     Mar 15, 2006
  9. AK100

AK100

I think allocating 5%-10% of an total investment portfolio to his fund would be sensible.

At least you're going to get a different investment style for your money

#19     Mar 15, 2006
  10. gbos

gbos

#20     Mar 15, 2006