Niederhoffer & REFCO

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by CPTrader, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Pabst

Pabst

And still capturing those kinds of returns?

#21     Oct 30, 2005

2. hey pabst,

i am not privy to discuss any current strategy details. hope you understand.

best,

surfer

#22     Oct 30, 2005
  3. Profturf can answer those questions, PBR.

#23     Oct 30, 2005
  4. syrre

syrre

I think Victor makes many good points.
    I have been reading his website often, and he seems like a really honest guy.

Anonymous sources most often have a second agenda.
    The more successful you are, the more people are after you.
    Jealous humans can be very cruel.

Btw. sorry for my bad english.

#24     Oct 30, 2005
  5. profturf

profturf

One is unfairly tarred on both sides by being treated with kid gloves by the discredited Mr. Surf, and an ability to spell that Horses A .. name correctly. Nevertheless , I will answer the query posted about results of funds in a systematic fashion and remind all the users that if they wish to engage in mutual education with people who have high opportunity costs for their time, then it is necessary to always be civil and humble. In any case, a representative report of cta programs above a mid 8 figure size lists the results of some 130 separate programs through the end of Sep 2004. The average return for the year to date is -20%, with Sep itself showing a -6% average return. Three of the major trend followers account for some 17 of the 130 separate funds tabulated. Their median return appears to be in line with the average for the year. profturf

#25     Oct 30, 2005
  6. Victor and his self-denigrating posts under his pseudonym, Profturf are absurd. Profturf, surfer, et al, know what I am talking about. I simply see no reason for these bullshit, backhanded posts authored by Vic under the profturf alias.

I've nothing against the man, personally. I think the litigation that arose from the S&P put fiasco was beyond ludicrous, however.

I hear you've had a good couple of years, Vic... this quarter notwithstanding.

#26     Oct 30, 2005
  7. Choad

Choad

Thanks profturf and others, for the interesting discussion.

and fwiw, "profturf" isn't exactly hiding :p

Date Registered: 03-14-05
    Total Posts: 13 (0.06 posts per day)
    Last Post: 10-30-05 04:21 PM
    Niederhoffer & REFCO
    Contact profturf: Click here to email profturf
    Send profturf a Private Message!

Add profturf to your buddy list
    Add profturf to your ignore list

Biography i am a small hedge fundist who uses the scientific method. i like to use statistics and evolution to trade
    Location i live in north east
    Interests i have been known to play racket sports and collect books

Good trading to all.

C

#27     Oct 30, 2005
  8. Quote from Profturf:

Jon Markman's article on MoneyCentral A Hedge Fund Meltdown covers all the details, denials , and debts( or lack thereof ) in a very reasonable way although I think he may be a bit more favorable to the horse's asses role in it than might be hoped by some of his detractors and myself profturf.

#28     Oct 30, 2005
  9. Choad

Choad

I believe you risk. It's either VN, or someone trying to impersonate him. But his posts may just show a wry sense of humor that can be seen in his books and columns. Eye of the beholder I s'pose.

Why not just post as VN? Hell, if I was a famous author and trader I'd...

No matter. It's still an interesting discussion and I hope he continues. I never get tired reading about these great trading fiascoes and successes. (Just found "Liars Poker" at the used book store)

:)

#29     Oct 30, 2005
  10. The actual Vic would get simulteneously flamed out the wazoo and innundated with people begging for a job.

That chick who was in the Trader''s Monthly top 100 under 30 made the mistake of coming on this forum uncloaked and got swamped by replies and with people asking her for a date. You don't see her around much anymore.

(PS. The guy is trying to impersonate Vic. The tell is that there is too much obvious info in the personal section.)

#30     Oct 30, 2005