Niederhoffer new book

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by richtrader, Feb 25, 2003.

1. I have an anecdote to share regarding Neiderhoffer. I read Education of a Speculator soon after it was first published. I thought (and still think) it was the best book on speculation ever written. I also admired his intelligence (summa cum laude from Harvard), athleticism (world squash champion), his devotion to his parents, and the business success he achieved despite a modest, working-class upbringing.
    Needless to say, I was excited to hear that Neiderhoffer was doing a book signing at the Borders in the World Trade Center.
    Since it was near work, some coworkers and I decided to go.
    I get to the signing early and spot Neiderhoffer walking around the bookstore in a funny colored (purple, I think) suit. I had heard he was eccentric, and his manner of dress seemed to confirm this.
    I walk up to him with the intention of introducing myself and telling him how much I enjoyed his book. I said "Hi Mr. Neiderhoffer" but he didn't even look at me and barely said "hi" in a rather disdainful way.
    The talk he gave later was not much better. My coworkers and I could barely hear him. The entire time he gave the speech he had this smug look.
    He seemed so full of himself that night that it completely turned me off. Honestly, he seemed like he had some narcissistic personality disorder.
    When I heard about his blow up later, I couldn't help but look back on the impression I got of him that night at Borders. For all his intelligence and learning, it seemed like hubris had gotten to him.
    But as many others have mentioned, his ability to bounce
    back from such a crushing defeat is admirable. I hope that I have the same resilience of spirit to deal with setbacks. Since
    his blow up, Neiderhoffer has been very generous about his strategies in the various articles he has written. He said in an interview that he is trying to make amends and restore his reputation. I have learned a lot from many of the articles he has written. In particular, his ability to think differently is inspiring. But if he ever comes out with another book, I think I will skip book signing :)

#211     Jul 2, 2006
  2. His comeback, is no better than a prop trader who blow's out his 50k account, and struggles for a period, then makes the come back and starts to earn a decent living again.

There is nothing special about nieder hoffer, the only difference between him and anyone else is his size. Don' forget, he's gambling with someone else's money, really a different mindset, then when you have everything of yours on the line.

#212     Jul 2, 2006
  3. Had occasion to speak with Mr. Neiderhoffer several times during my training. Certainly he was an intelligent person, and I have no knowledge of him socially. The gentleman who trained me did know him socially and his comment "The man's an odd duck"....

I found over the years, that it does not take tremendous intellect to have success in the markets, but rather a combination of intellect, discipline and the ability to put things in context. I have mentioned the need for "context" in a couple of my posts recently. Without it a smart person can think him/herself into a corner, finding themselves at a dead end. That is what happened to to this guy. Except for the celebrity he was able to cultivate along the way, and his family's money, he would be out on the street today, looking for a job at a boutique firm.

There are many intelligent, competent professionals working for Wall Street firms who obtain excellent results on a consistent basis. YOU FOLKS do not hear of them, because their are people WITH MONEY who do not want you to know they exist. Mr.Neiderhoffer is old news. A guy who had promise but couldn't maintain his discipline. In this business it is the equivalent of falling on your sword. You only do it once.

Naturally there are (still) Neiderhoffer "groupies" on the fringes of the financial community, and just like the empty headed rock groupies, these folks generally have not had much in the way of success on their own. They tend to believe that this man has some mojo that might rub off on them if them just stand close enough. Aint gonna happen.

I wouldn't pay 10 cents for his book.

Steve

#213     Jul 2, 2006
  4. Exodus

Exodus

Some people have issues socially and he may just be shy or insecure but you shouldn't take it personaly because you don't know him.

steve46

I've officially nominated you as ET's BIGGEST moron.

Where do your self delusions end ?????????

Folks .. this fool (steve46) has told us he's been everything from a Mafia boss to an engineer to a movie producer and now he's rubbing shoulders with Neiderhoffer:eek:

#214     Jul 3, 2006
  5. Maybe he's Tony Soprano....or better yet, "VITO" reincarnated. :D

#215     Jul 3, 2006
  6. I am sorry, I thought I had Exodus on ignore. I will fix that now.

I liked the joke about people who have social issues. Comming from fantasy creation such as yourself, it is a real hoot. :D

Now if you will excuse me, I have some legs to break, some necks to step on, and some pasta to eat. Then I have to do some partying with all kinds of movie stars (pick your own favorites).

Have nice holiday everyone.

Steve

#216     Jul 3, 2006
  7. You know I was just thinking about this last comment from Mr. Hosebag, and it occurred to me that this is an important issue.

I HAVE been very fortunate, lucky, whatever the word is, to have been in the company of smart, successful people in this industry. Sometimes it has been just in passing as with Mr. Neiderhoffer and sometimes I have had the privelege of watching them in the execution of their work, over an extended period of time, as with the gentleman who trained me. Now that I think about it, I will bet that it is one reason why I am where I am today. I think it is very important to see sharp people doing good work. It is so obvious when you think about it. That is why the sons and daughters of famous and/or highly skilled folks often go on to the same or similar success in their vocations.

So that is a kind of "wrapup" comment on that subject. On the other side, when I hear negative or snide comments like the one above, I would bet that person (whoever they are) is struggling along precisely because they never did have any exposure to skilled professionals. For me, it all seems to make sense.

Again Happy 4th to everyone.

Steve

#217     Jul 3, 2006
  8. wow. WOW.

I remember when chasinfla was the only person on this site who could find something good to say about Dr. Niederhoffer. This was, of course, way before the recent buzz, before his "comeback." This was back when he was a "loser" and Taleb was in the running to be God.

Iggy Pop once said, "If you believe them when they tell you you're great, you'll have to believe them when they tell you you suck."

#218     Jul 3, 2006
  9. Generally agree, though not with this choice of simile. The sons/daughters of these people often experience success due to a pre-built contact base, incestuous professional relationships and a general shortest path to relative success not available to the average youngster in life.

A highly significant percentage of succcessful/famous people are successful due to the luck factor. IMHO, the success of most fame/power siblings is down to the proximity of their parentage and little else.

#219     Oct 2, 2007
  10. The Victor book is at Amazon.com:

Name: Practical Speculation (Paperback), by Victor Niederhoffer (Author), Laurel Kenner (Author)

The link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...ate&n=283155&s=books&customer-reviews.start=1

Read following reviews there.

If you go to the site, open the reviews. These two you shall see.

You read it. You get that he blew up twice. Why? He like long term, capital, not understand the risk of a 5-sigma event.

These events should happen once a lifetime but have happened every 3-6 years, which is about how often he as had problems.

He should know better but greed comes. He trades too much a position, and looses so much money that he has to get out of the position. Simply, “Overtrading.”

#220     Oct 6, 2007