NIC at Nite

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mgookin, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Last night I came home from a nightclub circa 5am-ish and fired up a pc to see if there was any news on the communist bailout. I could not connect so I called my comcastic support desk. They told me everything is out and they will credit me for the day blah blah blah. I went to sleep.

I woke up circa 1030am and same thing so I called those oh so comcastic support folks again and this time they tell me nothing's wrong and nothing was. Not a surprise to get conflicting info from them. They pinged my modem and said they can see it fine. I had already reset it many times, restarted pc, repaired connection, etc... all to no avail.

So I changed the ethernet cable from the cable modem to a gigabit ethernet port on another system and it connected. Went back to the modem and nadda. So then I went from the modem to another NIC in the system I could not get to connect, and presto, it works.

Someone on here has to be smarter then me on this subject. How in the world could a NIC connect to another pc but not directly to a modem?