NG Equities and Funds

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by oldtime, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jo0477

jo0477

If you're long (please don't tell me UNG!!) I think you're ok, but depends what instrument you're using to play it. Avoid anything that costs you contract roll. I'm looking at Encana (ECA) at a possible buy, but not right now - maybe around the 27.50-28.00 mark. My preference would be calender spreads but I'd need to do some research as I'm behind on my info. Mitigating risk gets habit forming :cool:

#11     Jul 24, 2011
  2. naw, I'm flat. SE looks like it might be just right. I doubt I could ever find a stock analyst on this site. If it's good enough for you it's probably good enough for me.

#12     Jul 24, 2011
  3. Oldtimer: what do you think about EQT?

#13     Jul 24, 2011
  4. Why are the margins low?

#14     Jul 24, 2011
  5. jo0477

jo0477

Haha! I don't don't know if you play hearts but I just sluffed the bitch off on my drunken buddy and he's not happy!

Depends what you're looking for though. I trade options and sock any profits into solid dividend paying stocks (like SE). Utilities, Telcos, REITS can be great IMHO, picked up BCE (tsx) @ 23 and change paying around 7% yield at the time plus some extra gold as a hedge on the dollar (entered around 800 and have had my finger on HIT several times :D) I made some bad picks too like TEVA, which I'll hold but hasn't done fuk all but I still believe in generics and CML healthcare... in way above where it is now but I'll keep soaking up the dividend.

Sorry to get off topic guys - a couple gins in!

#15     Jul 24, 2011
  6. I don't think anything about anything. If you're asking me any advice you need to get to a quiet place, smoke some pot and do some soul searching.

But, to address your question, "What do I think about EQT?" the answer is, "What is EQT?"

If I ever know anything, I am always willing to share it. My edge isn't so sharp that I'm worried about somebody stealing it.

Like my brother always said, "If the shoe fits, steal it."

#16     Jul 24, 2011
  7. hehehe. Do not worry. Seeking no advice here.

EQT the stock as in SE the stock.:)

I think you are a smart and experienced fellow. I noticed it in a couple of your posts in other threads, and in your remarks about margins in this thread.

#17     Jul 24, 2011
  8. jo0477

jo0477

Yep, margins on futures spreads are always lower than an outright position. You need to think in relative terms - IE will a near month increase/decrease RELATIVE to an out month contract. That spread will allow you some directional bias with risk management but maybe talk to Bone about spreading (I'm not a client but he's knowledgeable no doubt)

I personally would never own commodity funds that aren't conducive to a somewhat regular cash-carry pattern. NG, CL, Grains are too cyclical to hold in a fund if you get in at the wrong time. Remember that you pay a roll-over for every month that they aren't in backwardation... which may be now until the fall if we're talking NG

#18     Jul 24, 2011
  9. Hi Jo0477: Thanks for the note. You actually answered a question I did not have in mind, but that I should have in mind. So it is very good. Thanks.

My question was about the low margins (as in expense margin/etc) of the stock you mentioned.

#19     Jul 24, 2011
  10. jo0477

jo0477

ahhh glad to chip on a saturday night!

Unfortunately I was talking futures spreads not equities. Check out CME/CBOT/NYMEX and they will explain their daytrade and overnight margins along with spread positions. Here's the link if you're interested

http://www.cmegroup.com/clearing/margins/#e=NYM&a=NATURAL+GAS&p=all

also just pull up Henry Hub NG or any other contract and click on spread quotes for whats's paying "what's over/under what"

any questions feel free to drop me a line. I'm "semi retired" for the time being but thinking about getting into grain trading since I'm stranded out on the Canadian prairies :cool:

#20     Jul 24, 2011