NFLX, attention dip buyers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AAAintheBeltway, Oct 15, 2003.

1. lol...

that's a nice screen to come up with. i think i can do that with bloomberg. i'll play around with it the next few days and post some other stocks on this thread, assuming it can be done and i can get it to work right.

#21     Oct 16, 2003
  2. lol...feet first.

Hey, I will be the first one to admit I am often wrong. My trading at best is anywhere from 53% to 57% right. I just watch my stops and let my winners ride until they turn. I am profitable overall, but I would have gotten creamed on this one...there is no doubt about that. I was lucky enough not to be in this issue. I did look at NFLX earlier in the year along with many others but it did not suit my trading style.

When ever I post this sort of stuff I am always wrong though. With CAT last week I was off the mark too.

The pain in this stock may not be over. Just today since rocketing up it is down almost 5% from the high made a couple of hours ago. Maybe next week the late longs will get their arse's whipped.

#22     Oct 16, 2003
  3. I have to wonder what is going on here. I thought maybe it was options dealers short gamma, but there doesn't seem to be that much open interest in the options. So maybe there was a huge short interest that all decided to cover after the report and managed to incinerate themselves.

Can those numbers actually be correct? 89% of the float was short? Looks like the same thing is happening on a smaller scale in QLGC? What's the short interest there?

#23     Oct 16, 2003
  4. AAA, check out the nflx profile.

Average Volume (3 month): 1,093,490
    Average Volume (10 day): 1,954,000
    Shares Outstanding: 24.00M
    Float: 10.80M
    % Held by Insiders: 55.01%
    % Held by Institutions: 95.00%
    Shares Short (as of 8-Sep-03): 9.61M
    Daily Volume (as of 8-Sep-03): N/A
    Short Ratio (as of 8-Sep-03): 8.308
    Short % of Float (as of 8-Sep-03): 89.00%
    Shares Short (prior month): 8.26M

My question is...

how can Insider held 55%
    and ins held 95% they don't total 100%. Is it bec insider held INCLUDES the 14M shares not floating?

To answer your question check out float of 10M vs. short interest of 8M. all it would take to squeeze this stock is for 5 widows and orphans to call in their shares to put in the safety deposit box of their bank !!!!

I don't think the MM are short gamma though, it is way too cheap vis-a-vis HV. so they would'nt be the one gamma scalping !

#24     Oct 16, 2003
  5. GATrader,

I don't follow those numbers regularly but those look crazy. Can you punch up QLGC adn see what they are to compare?

And look at the ramp job they're doing on ERTS.

#25     Oct 16, 2003
  6. Average Volume (3 month): 5,101,954
    Average Volume (10 day): 4,869,000
    Shares Outstanding: 94.24M
    Float: 94.00M
    % Held by Insiders: 0.25%
    % Held by Institutions: 91.02%
    Shares Short (as of 8-Sep-03): 8.84M
    Daily Volume (as of 8-Sep-03): N/A
    Short Ratio (as of 8-Sep-03): 2.092
    Short % of Float (as of 8-Sep-03): 9.40%
    Shares Short (prior month):

by the way this is in yahoo finance.
    this short ratio is nowhere near nflx though.

My gosh what am i doing trading in the nyse !!

#26     Oct 16, 2003
  7. i think the 89% short position relative to the float is feasible, given that there have been a lot of allegations lately in the press and by the SEC that firms are allowing people to initiate short positions, without having the shares to lend out. i'm sure there's an article somewhere, but i've come accross this several times in the last couple weeks.

#27     Oct 16, 2003