NFL Kicker conspiracy theory

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tango29, Jan 12, 2019.

1. tango29

tango29

I haven't seen the stats for this year, so going on just what I have seen, but I have never seen a year with so many missed FGs and PATs. This includes multiple misses in games by kickers who have solid stats year after year. Personally I think they changes something with the ball. Possibly a different material was substituted and it doesn't hold pressure, or slips off the shoe differently, but something has changed.
    I post this after watching Vinatieri, another fairly consistent kicker miss a FG before half and a PAT just now.
    Maybe not really a conspiracy, but something is off for kickers in the NFL.

2. wildchild

wildchild

Vinatieri is done. I dont usually see the colts play and was pretty shocked to see Vinatieri's appearance. Once you have a totally white beard, its time to retire.

MeAgainstTheWorld likes this.
  3. PATs were moved back to the 15 yard line so basically a PAT is like a 30 yard FG...

Overnight likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

The player with the most influence on the game is the kicker (beside the QB who is usually rich enough). So if you want to effect the game it is the generally low paid kicker who can make it happen without raising suspicion.

Not saying that is what happening, but that is the logical thinking.

5. tango29

tango29

Robbie Gould not a spring chicken anymore, and I'm sure that is part of the reason the Bears let him walk 3 years ago, on top of probably a bigger payday. He's been the most accurate kicker in the league since, and I have a feeling he would have hit the FG and PAT in their game, as opposed to the young kid, who has a few clanks this year. I read Gould was in the stands of the game with his kids. I wonder what he was thinking?
    The PAT maybe not a chip shot anymore, but it's still pretty much a gimme for these guys, but I also get it may cause a couple more misses. At the same time there were a few games with multiple misses this year. Mason Crosby was a 5 miss game. He's older, but that is still well out there for his reliability.

6. 30 yard FG in the elements is not a gimme, if it were, kickers would be 100% from 25-30yard range.

Free throws in hoops are gimmes but no one hits 100%.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  7. tango29

tango29

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

9. tango29

tango29

Or a fan, whining and looking for all the reasons why his team sucked this year. :)
    I would have sworn percentages had to be down this year. I can't remember seeing so many multiple miss games. Thanks

10. A free throw is an INDOOR 10 foot set shot with you taking your time to get into your own rhythm and no one defending you or jumping in your face as you take it and you can practice them repeatedly under game conditions.

A 30 yeard PAT involves a perfect snap and hold and you taking 3 steps well timed to kick the ball while the fastest athletes on the other team are bearing down on you to block the kick and you need to elevate it just right to clear the 6'3 guys jumping 5 yards in front of you while taking into account any wind, rain or field conditions (except for nice turf domed stadiums).

Yeah they seem pretty much the same thing....

#10     Jan 14, 2019
    CaptainObvious and Clubber Lang like this.