NFL Free Agency...Dumbest Move

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AAAintheBeltway, Mar 7, 2007.

1. WOOWWWW!!! But then again, that worthless Len. Davis got about 20 million guaranteed...

the Fins need a wide out (instead they lost one)
    A tight end and ...oh i don;t know...an OFFENSIVE LINE!!

#11     Mar 7, 2007
  2. I don't know their cap situation, but if it didn't cause them to lose anyone crucial, why not? It was a good-sized deal but not outrageous when you compare it to what some journeyman O linemen got. Defense wins championships. Porter is a former pro bowler who was a difference maker in Steeltown. He might inject some attitude in a team that has a tendency to take it easy.

There are bargains available at wide receiver and RB. There is not much available help at offensive line. There are QB's available as well. The dolphins could be waiting for some cap casualties to hit the street.

#12     Mar 7, 2007
  3. I would say 1200 yards a year for a team with no passing attack is better than a journeyman, but he is not a Pro Bowl back, at least not yet. I don't think his new deal with the Jets was all that huge.

Handling RB's is becoming a bit of an art form in the NFL. Nobody does it better than the Broncos.

On the subject of RBs, I am surprised that no one has signed Jamal Lewis, who was cut by the Ravens. Power backs tend to last longer than speed guys. The Redskins made a typically moronic move last year to trade for T. J. Duckett, then barely used him. He is a decent power back, although not in Lewis' class. He could be signed pretty cheaply. Maybe the bears have their eyes on one of them.

#13     Mar 7, 2007
  4. Offensive linemen trade at a premium. Good ones are far and few between. Conversely at the "skill" positions, unless one is TRULY elite, fast guys are a dime a dozen.

I find it hard to believe the Dolphins are content to have Culpepper vs. Cleo Lemon as the QB challenge but Cameron coached Lemon in SD and thinks the kid can play.

#14     Mar 7, 2007
  5. His 4.1 ypc won't confuse him with Jim Brown. He barely does better when he's out of the backfield at 4.3 per reception.

Don't get me wrong AAA, I love him. UVA grad so he's smart and behaved. But by NFL RB standards he's old (he'll be 29) and he's not my choice for a featured back.

Lewis is a stud.

#15     Mar 7, 2007
  6. I'm not sure what the Baltimore Ravens are thinking either. They let go a very serviceable RB in Jamal Lewis, a Pro Bowl LB in thomas, and one of their best O linemen Edwin Mulitalo, who in fairness did miss most of last year with a torn tricep tendon, then added troublemaker RB Willis McGahee who Buffalo was willing to move for draft picks, even though it didn't have anyone to replace him. Pabst, to compare McGahee to Thomas, McG had a 3.9 yard average. The Ravens gave him a big extension. McGahee is young but has a bum knee that has slowed him down.

#17     Mar 9, 2007
  7. The teams that helped themselves the most seemto be Denver (Dre Bly, Dan Graham, Travis Henry, guard Motrose Holland, subtract Jake Plummer), New England ( Thomas, Kyle Brady, Wes Welker) and San Francisco (Nate Clements, Micheal Lewis). I like what Miami did as well, adding Joey Porter and super accurate kicker Jay Feeley, an imprtant addition for a team with a tough defense and suspect offense.

I think Buffalo overpaid for free agent o linemen it signed. Why let the best corner in the league leave, trade your top RB, just so you can spend on journeymen linemen? Maybe it works out for them, but corners are almost as hard to find as franchise QB's. The Redskins have never recovered from one of their worst deals ever, trading Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis three years ago.

#18     Mar 9, 2007
  8. #19     Apr 29, 2007