NFL fans.. we have a PROBLEM!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PiggyBank, Sep 25, 2012.

1. What is a "real" ref anyway? :)

These refs are experienced college refs the way I understand it.
    they'll get it down

getting worse?? we're only 3 games into the season. At about 8 games let's see where they are.

20 yrs to get it right? Hope not that long to trade proficiently LOL

#11     Sep 25, 2012
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

Ed Hochuli is a real ref. A division 3 college ref and a ref from the lingerie league are not real refs.

And yes, it takes a very long time to become a proficient trader. Nothing beats experience, in any profession.

#12     Sep 25, 2012
  3. jnbadger

jnbadger

Now I hear one of the refs in the end zone for that play was recently fired from the lingerie league. This is getting more and more comical.

#13     Sep 25, 2012
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Actually, I believe people are being a bit too hard on these guys, who I'm sure, are trying to do a good job.
    Have any of you ever been a referee on any level for any sport?
    I have.

#14     Sep 25, 2012
  5. jnbadger

jnbadger

I absolutely understand. I can't imagine how hard it is, and I agree.

But I am tired of feeling sorry for them.

If you hired a bunch of backup traders to run your portfolio because your rock stars walked out, and they messed it up to this degree and they lost you a ton of money due to outright ineptitude, would you be sympathetic?

#15     Sep 25, 2012
  6. i'm with ya bro, the real refs do make bad calls but seriously what happened last night was unacceptable.. i just can't imagine the last call being made by the real refs. League pussification is also an undeniable reality, roughing the passer and hitting 'defenseless' players have been taken to the extreme and are anti football rules. They are also somewhat subjective and I haven't noticed ANY consistency among the replacements.
    I have nothing to do with football but it is the only sport that I really enjoy anymore and I would hate to see it completely ruined. Unfortunately this is what's happening and Goodell is mostly responsible. Every team is a bil $ organization and the league will always prosper, there is no need to change what's working. Sure there are little things here and there but to fundamentally change the game is stupid.. and that's exactly what goodell is doing. If the issue with the refs is actually performance then the league should offer bonuses or something for good performance assuming they want to punish poor decisions, i'm certain the refs have a price. I believe NFL refs are the lowest paid in major sports, and I'm not a pro union guy but the regulars are clearly, obviously, indisputably better than these chumps, so they are worth more. The point is that this should have been apparent in the preseason when things really don't matter - and fixed. This isn't baseball or basketball where you play a thousand games so one game is somewhat irrelevant.. every single game counts in the NFL.
    +1

#16     Sep 25, 2012
  7. #17     Sep 25, 2012
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Don't get me wrong, as a person who enjoys pro sports, some frustration is understandable.
    I realize these guys are making bad calls.
    But, with the "real" refs off the field, what are we to do?
    I mean, until the commissioner and the refs reps reach agreement, should the season just be stopped?
    Maybe that is indeed an option.

#18     Sep 25, 2012
  9. OK, no question the refs have been atrocious. Missed calls, bad calls, letting games get out of hand, etc.

That said, I think the league has the better side of the dispute. The refs are paid pretty handsomely for part time work. The pension issue can be finessed by changing it only for new guys. Few workers outside government even have traditionla pensions now, so I don't see the refs position as being very sympathetic. Obviously, they get some sort of compensation in lieu of the foregone pensions if they do away with them, but to insist on keeping an outmoded pension structure is not a winning argument.

The real issue is the evaluations and the concept of having more officials to bring in to replace those who have problems. They really don't want that, and I can see why, but I also see why it is a good idea.

The locked out refs had a lot of problems with bad calls and embarrassing mistakes as well. The problem is no one wants to give up a top flight position as a college ref for an NFL job that may disappear overnight. So the replacements are not the best available.

I don't know what the league can do under labor law about hiring permanent replacements. If they started doing that, the union would fol dimmediately. Guys like Ed Houchili love the limelight and would eat glass before giving it up.

The league could do more to help the replacement refs. For one thing, they could start handing out big fines to guys who are taking advantage of the situation and delivering cheap shots. There has been way too much of that, and it needs to stop.

There is one ironic side effect. Everyone is talking about the NFL, nonstop. It has crowed out politics, baseball, etc. It's all anyone is talking about, which the league has to like.

#19     Sep 25, 2012
  10. Ok, No he didn't have possesion. Finley came down with the ball and the Seahawk was touching him so he was down. After the fact grabbing the ball is no fact for possesion. The refs are contending as aprt of their contract dispute that they should not be evaluated..My guess is there is a middle ground, and it maybe money that they drop the issue or it requires end of season evaluation. The guys there now are failing in every game. This game just puts an emphasis on their failure.

#20     Sep 25, 2012