NFL draft is here, who's your guy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticktaker, Apr 26, 2012.

1. I have to agree about trading down being far better than trading up. Of course, teams know that and are reluctant to give fair value to a team wanting to trade down.

The smartest guy in my opinion is Belichick. He likes to swap his picks in the current draft for higher ones in next year's draft. Generally, you can get one round higher if you go out a year. It's such basic financial analysis I am shocked more teams don't do it. The problem they have is these coaches and GMs are under such pressure to win now, that they are afraid to defer a pick. They figure they might be fired and the next guy gets the benefit. Belichick knows he isn't going anywhere, so he can apply a lower discount rate to the future.

In other news, the Washington media is giving RG III the Obama treatment. The WashPost writer actually said if he doesn't win multiple Super Bowls, it will be a disappointment. Considering what they gave up for the pick, he may be right, but hey, just relax rookie, no pressure on you or anything.

#11     Apr 27, 2012
  2. Yeah, but if you paid attention to the draft, the Bucs ended up taking RB Doug Martin in the first after trading with the Broncos to move up and get him. While I agree the landscape of the NFL has changed to a pass heavy league, it's pretty obvious what went down at the top of the draft. Whether it was a good call or not, remains to be seen. Aside from the facts, my opinion is yes, that trade was probably not the smartest, but again, we really won't know until at least a full season has gone by.

Either way, by trading away half your draft for a RB, then taking a 28yr old rookie QB with your other pick, leaves the question of where does the organization see itself going.

#12     Apr 27, 2012
  3. Heckert was told to beat Tampa's offer or Minn was trading with TB who was going to take Richardson. Being trumped 2x in the same offseason was unacceptable and the Browns made a move. Considering how many picks they had, I like it. They manned up and said, nope this is our guy. Trading late round picks to ensure you get your guy, works for me. And something different for the Browns.

Your argument that the Browns face good run D, was they should not get the best RB in the draft since AP? Typical clueless less stoolers fan.

As for Weeden, we'll see what the rest of the draft holds. We need a #1 WR and RT still to help the offense out.

:D

[​IMG]

#13     Apr 27, 2012
  4. Not rumors. At least know what you're talking about.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/04/cleveland_browns_general_manag.html

Tom Heckert, on trading picks to get Trent Richardson: "I know exactly what was offered to Minnesota, so we knew we had to trade to get him if we wanted him. I know that for a fact."

#14     Apr 27, 2012
  5. I have two big problems with what the Browns did. One, talent-poor teams can't afford to piss away picks. They gave up a third, which I would call a mid level pick. Second, I just don't like using a high pick on a RB.

Look at AP. He was great for three years or so. Now? Trying to come back from a devastating knee injury. They got to the NFC title game because of Brett, not him. The Browns had Peyton Hillis, who was pretty productive, then things went bad. Who's to say the same thing doesn;t happen with this guy? RBs have a short career and carry an outsized part of the offense. It's not unreasonable for the good ones to expect to be paid, but the fact is, the difference between an All Pro and a good back is small.

There's also this belief that a great RB gives you a great run game. Not so. You have to have an above average O line, plus some receivers to keep the defense honest.

The Browns could have traded down with their high first rounder, either lower in the first or to the second, got some extra picks and still drafted impact players. Drafting a rookie QB who is nearly 30 years old makes no sense either. They would have been better getting one of the many free agent QBs who were available.

Basically, they took the most powerful draft day position of any team except St. Louis and got very little for it.

#15     Apr 27, 2012
  6. Max E.

Max E.

Mitchell Schwartz, High second round?

John Hughes in the third round?!??! The guy was projected to go as a free agent....

LOL, all i can say is thanks for passing on Mike Adams!!! Reading the comments on nfl.com as the browns 2nd and 3rd round picks were coming in was priceless..... Seems like Browns Fans are finally giving up.

As for whether or not the Bucs were actually going for Richardson, evidence seems to support my conclusion, that the Browns got flat out bluffed out of 3 picks. And i think the end of this article pretty much sums it up... "Do the Browns know what they are doing?"

All just good natured Ribbing, looking foreword to playing you guys in week 12, with Decastro, Adams, and Pouncey, together in our newly formed beast of an O-Line.

Weeden, Richardson, Schwartz, and Hughes, will have the best seats in the house as they watch the whole game from the sideline. :D

Once-proud Browns franchise still appears rudderless, incompetent

NEW YORK -- This is how running back Trent Richardson landed in Cleveland. The story begins with phone calls. Lots of them.

The entire NFL knew the obvious -- that the Minnesota Vikings were in a key spot. Richardson was going either third or fourth and everyone also knew the Vikings weren’t taking him. They already have a stud running back. Maybe you’ve heard of him.

Teams called the Vikings to get a feel for their intentions and right away they knew the team was selling a bushel of B.S. According to several team executives who spoke with the Vikings, the team was attempting to convince anyone who listened they weren’t going to take USC tackle Matt Kalil, an attempt at subterfuge that actually had started days earlier.

No one believed the Vikings. “They were trying too hard,” said one scout.

The Vikings at one point told one interested team that at least a half-dozen other teams had inquired about trading up. That was actually true but when Minnesota started telling teams what compensation other franchises were offering, everyone was convinced the Vikings were mostly bluffing. No one believed them. Except one team.

The Browns bought what the Vikings were cooking and suckers were born. Cleveland was convinced at least several teams were prepared to leap them when by all accounts that wasn’t going to happen. Even one day later, some teams around the league remain totally perplexed at the Browns giving up three picks to move one spot when they didn’t have to.

While Vikings general manager Rick Spielman deserves the praise he’s received for snookering the Browns, the entire episode leads to a critical question.

Do the Browns know what they’re doing?

It’s a simple question and I dare anyone to answer it with great conviction.

While Cleveland media and fans are acting like the Browns pulled off one of the great draft day trades in the history of mankind, and blasting anyone who dares wonder aloud about the move, the question remains pertinent.

The entire league wants the Browns to do better (well, except for maybe the Steelers). This has long been one of the great and historic teams in all of sports. If you appreciate football history, you appreciate the Browns. What’s happened to this franchise has been a cruel joke.

Many have long been waiting for someone to change Cleveland’s fortunes and the thought was that guru Mike Holmgren, now running the team, was that guy. That was two years ago. In Holmgren’s latest move the Browns used valuable resources in this draft to move one spot and pick a running back in a passing league. A back who is very good but a back the legendary Jim Brown reportedly called average.

Holmgren has been in charge of the Browns for two years and so far there’s been little he’s done to distinguish himself. The team has won nine games in those two seasons and there’s little indication Holmgren has done anything to reverse the ugliness. Tom Heckert, the general manager, is good but Holmgren is still the top guy.

The Browns have completely flubbed the quarterback position. Is Colt McCoy the guy or not? Is it now Brandon Weeden, who is three years older than McCoy?

The reaction of the Cleveland brass to rumors that McCoy might be traded has been almost comical. Coach Pat Shurmur denied to ESPN there were any trade discussions regarding McCoy. But Holmgren told a reporter for Cleveland’s WKNR that “I don’t know. He might be here. We’ll see.”

Well, OK then.

Holmgren deserves more time and this isn’t to say he won’t be successful. It’s just hard to say. Two years isn’t a long time but it’s enough to get a feel and that feeling leads to the original question.

Do the Browns know what they’re doing?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ranchise-still-appears-rudderless-incompetent

#16     May 1, 2012
  7. Max E.

Max E.

2 funny articles off of the onion, regarding the draft.

Jacksonville 3rd-Round Pick Punter Bryan Anger: 'I Will Punt The Jaguars To Greatness'
    [​IMG]
    NEW YORK—Mere moments after becoming the highest-selected punter in the NFL Draft since 1995, Bryan Anger took the opportunity to thank the Jaguars and announce that he would do all he could to help punt the team to greatness.

"This is, without a doubt, the greatest moment of my life—and, I promise you, a defining moment in Jaguars history," Anger told reporters during a press conference after the decision Friday. "This is the year they punt themselves into the spotlight. I will do everything I can to make sure the Jaguars and punting will soon be seen as one and the same."

Anger also promised fans that, as their punter—and therefore the leader of the punt team—he would be the very model of a Jacksonville Jaguar, adding that they should "get used to me, because they're going to be hearing the name Bryan Anger all the time in years to come."

"It's every young punter's dream to make it to the NFL and punt the ball away at the elite level," Anger said. "I think Jacksonville gives me by far the best chance to do that."

The 6-foot-4, 208-pound Anger, a controversial choice for Jacksonville at No. 70 overall, had a distinguished career at the University of California, where he was twice a semifinalist for the Ray Guy Award, the little-known trophy given to the nation's best college punter. Dismissing the idea that he might experience difficulties handling the transition to the second-worst punting team in the NFL, Anger pointed out that analysts and experts said Jacksonville was exactly the sort of team most likely to take a punter with an early-round draft pick, and also by far the best team for a young, aggressive punter wanting to punt as often as possible.

"As a punter, you look at this team and you know you're going to be getting a lot of playing time," Anger said. "Which is fine with me. I look at all the teams that passed on me, and the only thought I have is 'Just you wait, guys. I'll be punting to all of you soon enough.' Mark my words, there are 31 NFL franchises out there who are going to be seeing a lot of me."

Coach Mike Mularkey was quick to welcome his new player to the team, saying Anger was going to be "Jacksonville's punter of the future and, in many ways, the centerpiece of our team."

The Jaguars franchise, meanwhile, seemed to be just as excited about Anger, releasing two previous punters, Nick Harris and Spencer Lanning, the day after the draft.

"You look at how a lot of teams these days are built around a high-powered passing game, and you look at [Jaguars quarterback Blaine] Gabbert, and you realize how important it is for us to have a great punter in our arsenal," Mularkey said. "After all, we punted third-most of any team in the league last year, so it's about time we started getting good at it. In fact, at this point, we may as well just resign ourselves to building our entire team concept around the idea of pinning other teams deep with a really good punt."

"I'm not saying this team is automatically going to be a Super Bowl contender just because I'm punting," Anger said when told of Mularkey's comments. "All I'm saying is, if it does come to that—Super Bowl, fourth quarter, clock winding down, Lombardi trophy on the line—at that moment, I want to be the punter the Jaguars turn to."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/jacksonville-3rdround-pick-punter-bryan-anger-i-wi,28088/

Analysis of RGIII :D

[​IMG]

#17     May 8, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Do I really have to pick a guy?

#18     May 8, 2012