Next US Prez

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 2cents, Sep 6, 2006.

1. I am a moderate republican but I like Joe Lieberman. I would like to see him team with a moderate repub and run an independent ticket, better yet change parties.

#11     Sep 6, 2006
  2. no. u?

#12     Sep 6, 2006
  3. BCE

BCE

#13     Sep 6, 2006
  4. #14     Sep 6, 2006
  5. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

If Bush were a statesman like Reagan, 99% of all this anti-American bullshit, and all the hysteria that surrounds it, would never happen from the get-go, and all the America-haters –which always exist, by the way—would climb back under their rocks. So, all we need is a statesman like Reagan.

Responding to your baited question: the Neocon bogeyman hysteria is tiresome. If neocons have so much power, then try to convince me that neocons also control Congress and the Judiciary. As for our domestic situation, it couldn’t be better. America has more rich people than the world has ever seen. So all this whining about deficits and health care and social security and pensions is trivial in the long run, unless the Democrats manage to do what Europe did and create a permanent class of hostile ethnocentric people who reproduce like rabbits and are all led to believe they were wrongly "impoverished."

#15     Sep 6, 2006
  6. Giuliani shows all the hallmark traits of the authoritarian.
    He gets off on making rules for the sake of making rules, and then forcing others to obey (or else). He pursues persecution for its own sake, as evidenced by his witch hunt against Boesky & Milken. Giuliani selects human targets and then proceeds to hunt them down, scouring the books for obscure laws to use as ammunition. He especially enjoys enforcing drug prohibition- a nice fun way for any fascist to oppress others under the guise of 'enforcing laws'. Bar owners are another favorite target, and Guiliani is documented to have sent squads of literally dozens of his city goons to enforce obscure 'no dancing' regulations, 'inspecting' places of business with a fine tooth comb in order to 'find something' out of code, and then dishing out heavy penalties to the proprietors for the <b>sole purpose</b> of Giuliani's self-gratification.

People like him are only good for one thing: Restoring law & order where there is complete anarchy. He would have been useful in post-Katrina New Orleans, provided he be whisked away the moment the situation got under control.

Hapa, I could easily see guys like you putting this thug into the White House, but I'm warning you: If you make that mistake, you will regret it more than anything. And don't think; "I'm not doing anything wrong so I have nothing to worry about". Guys like Giuliani will always FIND something 'illegal' to hang you with, no matter how clean you think you are. If you support this fascist, you have no idea how big a mistake you'd be making. It would be THE END of the United States of America. I am <b>right</b> about this, and hopefully you won't have to find that out the hard way!

#16     Sep 6, 2006
  7. Pabst

Pabst

RM, In many ways Rudy has mellowed from his days as a prosecutor. I read an interview a couple of years back where he hinted that he wished he'd done some things differently while at Justice...

By and large though I agree with your assessment. I'd vote for him over a tax and spend Dem but he's WAY down my list of who I'd like to see as the GOP nominee.

#17     Sep 6, 2006
  8. ^^^^^^

^^^^^^

spot on!

#18     Sep 6, 2006
  9. indeed, its all about leadership... the type of leadership people chose at a particular juncture... my swipe at PNAC is motivated by the fact that people respond to a balance of incentives, and threats, perceived or real, and thats true the world over, not just America... and while PNAC can be credited for hugely increasing the perception of threats the world over, building on 60 years of aggressive US policing across the world, i fail to see what they've done on the incentives front, even domestically... thats not just a PNAC legacy of course, but PNAC-driven policies have only made things worse, and a country whose debt to gdp ratio is in the 60-70% is by definition a mixed economy (massively redistributive) v.similar to what Europe is mired into, no matter what the official line is... i am not saying that that in itself is an insurmountable issue but perhaps its time to shed the "america's best!" goggles...

as regards your domestic situation, america is on a disintegration course basically (voter disaffection and other related phenomenons), and not only at the political level http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/def..._SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=1&item=0 http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76205 (the end of the american dream)... there's never been much of a sense of collective responsibility in this country, and thats an understandable legacy of the pionneer days, but things seems to only get worse... on the ethical front, from individual to corporate to state to federal level, relativism and double standards are the accepted rules of the game... (e.g. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1169388&highlight=astroturfing#post1169388)

there is no fatality there, but yeah, leadership... but not just any kind of leadership...

#19     Sep 7, 2006
  10. puh-liiizzz... can we just put this randian bullshit back on a shelf next to marx and all the rest of those early 20th century's junk literature for the masses?

#20     Sep 7, 2006