Next Steps after Building Strategy Pipeline - Advice for Getting Hired

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by kojinakata, May 20, 2017.

1. Hi elitetrader,

I have coded a reliable and sufficiently realistic vectorized backtesting script. It is mostly based on quantstrat and related packages in R. I have tried to implement methods to avoid overfitting based on techniques written in papers that most of you might know. I am testing intraday (mid-frequency) strategies on several asset classes and trade the ones I like the results.

I am a fresh graduate from industrial engineering and want to get into quant trading firms. My position choices are, in order of priority:

1. trader
    2. analyst/ researcher
    3. developer
    What should be my next steps to be considered as a potential candidate for jobs at quant firms? What should I do to increase my chances of getting hired?

2. hi there, i traded professionally for over 10 years and the secret to getting through the interviews and ultimately getting the job is hard work and good attitude. I've seen a number of kids come through the years fresh with degrees from OxBridge that technically are great but never make it as traders as they can't make the link between the maths and the real world of trading. Also leave your ego at the door, the best and most successful traders are the ones who are confident in their abilities, but aren't afraid to admit and learn from their mistakes

dealmaker likes this.
  3. sle

sle

Just out of curiosity, what school (or at least a tier) did you go to? The next question is "why?" obviously...

4. I am not from the US, but went to a "top-tier" university where I am from, top 5 to be exact.

The why is that I always loved statistics, machine learning, finance and trading. I want to do what I love. At least, I want to try to get into a job I love.