Next Generation Solar Stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by keanu89, Mar 13, 2007.

1. topdown

topdown

Yeah, all right Stoney - You're my fuckin' hero. I'm just pissed at myself not playing it (Hell, I didn't even look at it - until now)

In all seriousness - That was a great call!

#31     Mar 23, 2007
  2. keanu89

keanu89

How can anyone compare solar to dot-coms?? The solar industry is making a ton of money. Standard polysilicon cell manufacturers today like REC, Suntech etc are money machines.

Second generation solar technologies are more uncertain, but to say they are air-castles is a bit naive. Of course there will be wipeouts, 'cause most of them will not be able to manufacture competitive cells cost-efficiently. The ones that have deep pockets and do the right things however, will do very well. It all depends on the biz-plan and execution.

#32     Mar 24, 2007
  3. hels02

hels02

Whoa... nice call Stoney:). Just looked at it now... beautiful.

Why compare solar to dot.coms?

Yahoo, Google, Amazon, Ebay are all dot.coms. At the time, no one knew which ones would come out on top. Now we do.

#33     Mar 24, 2007
  4. keanu89

keanu89

dot-com is a designation used for air-castles with no business model. "it's gonna be huge" "new economy" blabla. Solar companies are growing their revs like crazy. We will see consolidation, yes, but buying shares in any traditional solar company today is not like investing in a dot-com in 99 as the companies have huge revs and ramp-up plans.

#34     Mar 24, 2007
  5. hels02

hels02

Where did you pull that definition of 'dot.com' from? Out of the 'air'?

How can anyone trade without knowing anything about trading history or even the terminology?

DotCom DEFINITION: A company whose operations are entirely or primarily internet-based, or more specifically a company whose business model would not be possible if the internet did not exist. Dotcoms often deliver all their services over an internet interface, but products might be delivered through traditional channels as well. Dotcoms are often divided into two categories: those that provide products and services for consumers (B2C) and those that provide products and services to other businesses (B2B).

IN 1999, Yahoo, Ebay, Amazon, AOL were known as the big dot-coms, and they LED the dot com bubble.

THEIR FALL marked the dotcom bubble bursting. Ie., in 2000, YHOO was $125. At its low, in 2001 after the fall, YHOO was $5. $125 to $5 is quite a burst. All the dotcoms did that. Today, 7 years later, YHOO is $31.

The point I made was, many of them failed, a handful of them succeeded.

I would say that the dot-coms Google, Amzn, Ebay, Yahoo among others, have succeeded quite well. Further, in 1999, some had positive cash flow... their growth rate is what caused the dotcom bubble. THEIR success is what led people to speculate on the less legitimate dot.coms that ultimately went bust. As you can see, they are still successful.

How can I compare?

It's a very very close analogy. In 1997, the above companies were in their infancy also. 10 years later, they are established as part of the economy and society.

Solar is here to stay, but not every solar or alternate energy company will be equally successful. It's still not clear which will be the google ($450+), which will be the ebay ($30+), which will be the learntogo ($0) .

You're welcome.

#35     Mar 24, 2007
  6. keanu89

keanu89

well, I think there are better analogies than that

your welcome too ;)

#36     Mar 24, 2007
  7. The profits of the manufacturers are actually pretty dismal. It's a loss leader market.

It's not about them making cash now, it's about market share 10 years from now.

Renewable Energy wave now is being compared to the internet wave in 1990s. You're gonna get your share of nonsense companies riding the wave but a certain percentage are here to stay.

Nicely done Stoney. Did you call them or just jump in?

#37     Mar 25, 2007
  8. Oh man.

Deli Solar Inc. (DLSL)
    © quotemedia.com
    Today 5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y

Last Price 4.77
    Tick
    Change 1.02
    Open 4.00
    Day High 4.80
    Bid 4.80
    Ask 4.85
    52Wk High 11.00
    E.P.S. 0.15
    Ex-Div Date N/A
    Yield N/A
    Market Cap 29.6 m

Last Trade 10:57
    Volume 148.31 k
    % Change +27.20%
    Prev Close 3.75
    Day Low 3.80

>> I chickened out @ F*^ed. Up exited with
    a $5,000. gain. Now don't get me wrong I'm thrilled I made back half my correction losses with one pick a little over $7,000 invested brought back $5,000 profit a 67%$ gain in 2 weeks. But as you can see it's not stopping.

Stocks going up a lot sometimes freak me out more than stocks going down a lot.

~stoney

#38     Mar 26, 2007
  9. ESLR and CSIQ have been my two main solar plays over last year

established a core position, and traded around that

#39     Mar 26, 2007
  10. hels02

hels02

Well Stoney... I dived into DLSL at $3.60. Then promptly watched it drop to $3.35. LOL!

It's back up right now to $3.70. Funny stock:).

#40     Mar 27, 2007