Next Generation Solar Stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by keanu89, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Damn ASTI is a monster traded it twice already today easy dollars. Can't believe the premium paid (25%) by Hydro Not That Hydro! Hydro Norsk something> $5.77 a share- let's keep that price in mind when it retraces. If it retraces. Looks like these fellows are for real. Wish I hadn't spent the last few days " watching " it like a stock pervert. I could of just bought a chunk and let it ride as all good investors do. Hate having to do all this daytrading to catch up. Same thing happened with Trina once they go- they go... like beautiful solar powered balloons.

#11     Mar 14, 2007
  2. Look I respect your posts, but on this case you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Let's not get into it, cause I will embarass you. Send me a PM if you want, I don't want to disclose info all over a public message board since we would normally charge for it. Just a note, and this was taught in middle school or grade school, as well as by your doctor when talking about sunburns. Just because there are clouds out there and you dont see the sun, does not mean there are no sun rays. Oh yeah, those panels can still move the electric meter backwards even with an inch of snow on them in the middle of winter. Next time you "get out in the field" try it out, like actually hook up a panel to an inverter, route it to the electric meter and observe.

Do some searches on NJ solar growth, you might be surprised on what you will find. What you won't find is why & how PV is being pushed so hard beyond the rest, cause people in the industry know that there are sources that are essentially better. Or that California companies were rushing out to the East in 2003 to grab the opportunities. I actually personally know the jerk-off who was pompous enough to go out there, brag at a conference and let the secret out.

I was trading that stock 2 years ago, made some of my best daytrades on it. It has many institutional buyers, it is simply highly valued right now. It's wont even pullback enough. That's why it seems "undiscovered". It also somewhat thin. Buyout is a high probability, once the numbers can fudged to fit the bill. Good long, just the price is a bit high and has been for a year.

Methane capturing from landfills, old stuff. Almost every US landfill does this. Nothing new, except that outside US, you get CO2 credits under Kyoto. So it's on the rise, but these are short term projects for quick cash in most cases.

Someone else or you have mentioned this before, like months ago. It's not unknown, the penny pumpers are a little active in it. It just seems shady, I try to stay away from shady Chinese play, but this one, I dunno, I think they are legit. I would just contact them and talk about pricing, product, etc.
    I look at it like this. If your product is good, you would be selling it in USA as well. USA has pretty good demand for solar heat/hot water panels, especially out in the West. It's also a less tapped market, and the big name renewable manufacturers have been fighting for market share and selling products at a lower price than compared to Europe & Japan. So why focus on China so much if you have done your studies.
    I am seeing too many of these China specific solar plays, I think most of them will end up being scams.

#12     Mar 14, 2007
  3. re: Just because there are clouds out there and you dont see the sun, does not mean there are no sun rays. Oh yeah, those panels can still move the electric meter backwards even with an inch of snow on them in the middle of winter. Next time you "get out in the field" try it out, like actually hook up a panel to an inverter, route it to the electric meter and observe.

Well I took your advice Hydro I'm out here in the freezing fuc*ing ice storm. I'm at a facility in LI.
    We have a large solar panel tilted up I've attached one electrode to an FM radio and the other top the electric meter. I'm not saving money, can't turn on the radio.

I think you are thinking about the re-coil activity and saved up energy that's not happening right now. Might be an older panel. The point is I'm freezing.

Yea that was me before with the Deli solar can't get any real volume in the stock no one cares. I like the realness of small appliances powered by the sun. little beach radios and such, small fridge these have real world implications and can work great in poverty stricken nations. Grid work is best left to nuclear at this point. In Japan actually whole small cities are powered my the methane they have taken what is an " old " science and made it art as the Japanese often do.

Yes solar is incredible hot right now young silicon valley types are pretending to save the world because they have found this is one of the few areas where it's easy to relieve some well off grey beards of their money for start ups.. the future of solar though... remains cloudy (and cold! )

#13     Mar 16, 2007
  4. S2007S

S2007S

FSLR ha,

PE at 766+, that stock deserves a price at around 10 bucks, and even that is too expensive.

#14     Mar 16, 2007
  5. keanu89

keanu89

given...

Price/Sales (ttm): 28.24
    Price/Book (mrq): 9.26

...I agree.

however:

Quarterly revenue growth 288.00%
    Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 0.196

Also, they are manufacturing cadmium telluride thin film cells. Low cost (where polycrystalline silicon is high cost), simple production (where CIGS is more complex). However, who wants to use cadmium in production these days. Wouldn't want to work in their factory if something goes wrong.

#15     Mar 17, 2007
  6. The rush of new solar power-related issues has contributed to an up and down year for the sector, despite the increased interest in renewable energy, as newcomers jockey for position and investors separate the wheat from the chaff. Two late-2006 IPOs -- U.S.-based First Solar Inc. and China's Trina Solar Ltd. -- have risen 163 per cent and 151 per cent, respectively, from their IPO prices. Another more established U.S. solar firm, Sunpower Corp., which began trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market in late 2005, is up 141 per cent since its debut. Yet underperformers have been punished: Energy Conversion Devices Inc. has seen its stock slump 23 per cent in the past year, hurt by disappointing financial results.

In general, the solar group has outperformed the broader market, buoyed by strong long-term growth prospects. Global demand for solar power -- more formally known as photovoltaic (PV) electricity -- has been rising 20-30 per cent a year, as the declining costs of PV generation, relative to conventional electricity, continue to encourage more jurisdictions to turn to solar.

"We think that [growth] is sustainable," said Pavel Molchanov, an analyst at Raymond James in Houston. He noted that although PV electricity still costs about two to three times as much to produce as conventional electricity, that has come down from 10 times in the 1970s. "The cost has decreased 90 per cent in 30 years," he said, adding that solar should reach parity with conventional generation by about 2015.

"The outlook is exceptionally strong," he said.

Those prospects have encouraged the swelling of the ranks, and that, in turn, is raising the sector's profile on the Street. Investment banking heavyweight Merrill Lynch this week launched a monthly report dedicated to the solar industry.

The world's leading markets for solar power are Germany and Japan (Germany produces almost five times as much PV electricity as the United States), but analysts are encouraged by the growth prospects in such diverse jurisdictions as California, Spain, Italy and Australia. Still, the big story is shaping up to be in China, thanks to its huge and rapidly accelerating appetite for energy supplies.

Merrill analyst Srini Pajjuri's top picks in the sector include Sunpower and China-based Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd, the two biggest solar cell companies in their respective countries. He also likes two recent China-based IPOs, Trina Solar and ReneSola Ltd.

#16     Mar 17, 2007
  7. That last one Renesola I'm not familiar with looks like they deal with a lot of the other players....
    ReneSola Ltd (“ReneSola” or the “Company”) (AIM:SOLA), a leading manufacturer
    of wafers for the photovoltaic industry, is pleased to provide an update on its
    production capacity expansion and the agreement of key sales contracts.
    2006 Production Capacity Expansion
    All 54 additional monocrystalline furnaces planned for 2006 are now in full
    production, bringing the total number of furnaces currentlyin operation to 90, which
    is equivalent to an installed capacity of 80 MW per annum.
    The first wire saw for the slicing of ingots into wafers has also now been fully
    commissioned and is now fully operational. A further four wire saws are currently
    being installed. ReneSola has placed orders for an additional 19 wire saws which
    will be delivered by the end of 2006. When all 24 wire saws are in full operation,
    the Group willbe able to slice all of the ingot output from the 90 furnaces.
    Long Term Sales Contracts
    In addition to the long term sales contracts signed with Jiangsu Linyang Solarfun Co.
    Ltd and Motech Industries Inc. in July 2006, the Company has recently signed a
    number of long term sales contracts, resulting in over 90 per cent. of the existing
    production capacity of 80 MWbeing pre-sold for 2007. The contracts include:
    ? A five year contract with Suntech Power Co. Ltd. for the supply of 20 MW of
    wafers in 2007 and 50 MW each year from 2008 to 2011;
    ? A three year contract with CEEG Nanjing PV-TechCo. Ltd. for the supply of 10
    MW of wafers in 2007 and 20 MW in each of 2008 and 2009; and
    ? A three year contract with JingAo Solar Co. Ltd. for the supply of approximately
    5.8 MW of wafers in 2007 and at least that amount in each of 2008 and2009.

#17     Mar 17, 2007
  8. Hydro I really like these guys Renesola I guess I missed it because they are on that great index AIM in London.
    Like the Nasdaq in the old days alas... This may be my test of Etrade's supposed new foreign trading... or I'll put it through the Hedge Fund. Read the corporate website and tell me what you think. Symb- SOLA
    ~stoney

#18     Mar 17, 2007
  9. I hate to break it to you but it's just another thin film PV. 9+% efficiency as compared to the "old school" panel's 13-16% efficiency. Reality is that in most cases, area limitation is a concern. So is the life of the product & the warranty. Other minor concerns, but in the end, thin film is not a preferred product in most of the cases. I don't consider thin film second gen, it really is not.

I can't really comment unless you provide exact details, like system size and how it was installed. For all I know this system is not approved by the state inspector and may be some old panel from back in the day. The panels nowdays will collect sunlight with an inch of snow on them, let alone on a non-sunny day. They will move the meter, a little, but electric flow is registered. In fact, the difference of PV performance between the best USA state for sun (Arizona) and the worst (Maine) is 20-25%.

That sounds like a great find stoney. Solar wafers are always in demand. Any facility that has the capability of making solar cells based on specs provided has an edge. Not every solar cell ends up in a panel.
    It's the next best thing to finding a traded company that "mines" and processes silicon. These guys are close.
    Silicon demand is not going to dissapear anytime soon, even if next gen hits the market. Judging from what I observed so far, these guys will price gouge & milk whatever they can. And unlike most products, solar panels do have one factor that will always set a price floor, the cost of electricity.

#19     Mar 17, 2007
  10. And unlike most products, solar panels do have one factor that will always set a price floor, the cost of electricity....

great point Hydro I failed to look at the obvious. Has the cost of electricity ever gone down without Gov regulation? This all boils down to a little more upfront for big savings down the line for whomever goes hog wild with the solar.

I've been working on my taxes and there are several new lines for rebates for going green with the car or the house. I was telling my mom who won't put anything ugly on her roof that maybe she could get a stationary unit by the pool that would singularly help with the pool's electricity consumption a single use solar cell type set up- wonder who would manufacture that? I've seen the patio lights that light up at night from stored up daylight that's a cool product.

#20     Mar 17, 2007